Looks like Hunter Harvey left game after one pitch

wildcard

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You don't want to think about Hunter costing Armstrong his spot?

Harvey isn’t due back until Memorial Day-ish...if Armstrong is still struggling by then, I’m fine with them cutting him.

I also think there would be a reasonably good chance that you get Armstrong to AAA.

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m off the Tate bandwagon until he shows he can get more Ks and miss more bats.  By that I mean, I don’t see him being anything more than an average-ish reliever.  I used to believe he could be a really good reliever but until he starts missing more bats and getting Ks, I don’t see that in him anymore.

I always liked Tate but he hasn’t taken the step forward I was expecting from him.

Harvey has a much higher ceiling but also a lower floor.

Tate is using the sinker over 50% according to Savant, so I think his K% numbers will need the Britton adjustment.   FG has him about 80th percentile in ground ball rate among qualified relievers this morning.

Paul Fry was actually 90th percentile despite throwing mostly 4-seam fastballs, so I'm not quite sure what to make of that.   Maybe he is commanding the low pitch well.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Harvey isn’t due back until Memorial Day-ish...if Armstrong is still struggling by then, I’m fine with them cutting him.

I also think there would be a reasonably good chance that you get Armstrong to AAA.

Good to see you are being objective about it.

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Tate is using the sinker over 50% according to Savant, so I think his K% numbers will need the Britton adjustment.   FG has him about 80th percentile in ground ball rate among qualified relievers this morning.

Paul Fry was actually 90th percentile despite throwing mostly 4-seam fastballs, so I'm not quite sure what to make of that.   Maybe he is commanding the low pitch well.

The thing is, when Britton wasn’t getting Ks, he was still missing bats at a high rate.

In 2014, his K rate was barely above 7 but his swingstr% was almost 22%.

Last year, Tate was at 17.7%, which is below average but that’s easily his best mark thus far. (It’s 11.7% this year and 13.8% in 2019)

Its still a SSS (only 50 innings total) for him but if he keeps it up, it will hold him back.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing is, when Britton wasn’t getting Ks, he was still missing bats at a high rate.

In 2014, his K rate was barely above 7 but his swingstr% was almost 22%.

Last year, Tate was at 17.7%, which is below average but that’s easily his best mark thus far. (It’s 11.7% this year and 13.8% in 2019)

Its still a SSS (only 50 innings total) for him but if he keeps it up, it will hold him back.  

The sample this year is very small, so I’m not too hung up about it.    He’s been throwing a lot more strikes this year, so maybe a little more of a “here it is, hit it” approach instead of nibbling at the corners?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The sample this year is very small, so I’m not too hung up about it.    He’s been throwing a lot more strikes this year, so maybe a little more of a “here it is, hit it” approach instead of nibbling at the corners?

It is definitely a SSS but he wasn’t much of a strikeout pitcher in the minors either.

I was hoping that a move to the pen would see his stuff play up more and he would be more of a swing and miss, K pitcher.

I’m not sure if I’m right but I would think if you have swing and miss stuff, that would play right away and that a SSS wouldn’t matter.