Minor league rule change experiments

Frobby

17 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I'm in favor of many of these rules for the reasons they are being tried out. I don't like 4-hour games, so anything to increase pace of play is good for me. 

16 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Anything, huh ???

o

"If the pitcher hits the batter with the ball, the batter's out ...... you hit 27 batters, you've got yourself a perfect game. You get 2 really good accurate pitchers out there, and you could be out of that ballpark in 15 minutes."

George Carlin, 1986

o

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding the rule about the infielders' feet having to be on the infield dirt, is there any rule about how far back the infield dirt goes? Could the Rays theoretically just make the infield dirt extend 150 feet into the outfield so that they can shift all they want?

You want to speed up games?

- Start batters with a 1-1 count.
- Once a batters get two strikes, they get two foul balls. On the third the batter is out (counts as a strike out). 
- Keep the "runner starts on second base" in extra innings. (I hated that originally but like it now)
- With no one on base, batters must keep one foot in the batters box at all times and have a 7 second window to be in the batters box and ready from the time the previous pitch is called by umpire. Pitchers have a 10 second pitch count by the time the batters is set.
- With runners on, batters get 10 seconds to get signs and get set and must still always have one foot in box. Pitchers get 3 pickoff attempts per inning but can step off unlimited amount of times. (25 second pitch clock total that is halted when a pickoff attempt is made)

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You want to speed up games?

- Start batters with a 1-1 count.
- Once a batters get two strikes, they get two foul balls. On the third the batter is out (counts as a strike out). 
- Keep the "runner starts on second base" in extra innings. (I hated that originally but like it now)
- With no one on base, batters must keep one foot in the batters box at all times and have a 7 second window to be in the batters box and ready from the time the previous pitch is called by umpire. Pitchers have a 10 second pitch count by the time the batters is set.
- With runners on, batters get 10 seconds to get signs and get set and must still always have one foot in box. Pitchers get 3 pickoff attempts per inning but can step off unlimited amount of times. (25 second pitch clock total that is halted when a pickoff attempt is made)

I'd be fine with everything except starting 1-1. 

5 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

I'd be fine with everything except starting 1-1. 

I think that's honestly the most important. Think about it, a lot of action happens on 1-1 because batters don't want to go 1-2. I think this also would allow pitch counts to drop and allow starters to go 7 innings of more more often.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think that's honestly the most important. Think about it, a lot of action happens on 1-1 because batters don't want to go 1-2. I think this also would allow pitch counts to drop and allow starters to go 7 innings of more more often.

Oh yeah, I definitely understand it and think it is the key one. But that is definitely the one I am most uncomfortable with. I think it needs to and always will stay 3 strikes and 4 balls, while starting fresh each time.

29 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Oh yeah, I definitely understand it and think it is the key one. But that is definitely the one I am most uncomfortable with. I think it needs to and always will stay 3 strikes and 4 balls, while starting fresh each time.

I understand that line of thinking, and the purest in me agrees with you, but I started thinking, would I like to see games finished in 2:30 hours vs 3+? 

Do I like to see action vs all of these deep counts and foul ball at bats? Yep.

Maybe even something more crazier where it's s 1-1 count for six innings then 0-0 for 7th inning on? I don't know, but I know it would speed up the games.