Not gonna lie: this team looks awful

Frobby

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Now if they are this bad in 2023, then Elias is going to have to answer for how the plan is progressing. I don't want the O's to lose 100 games this season, but I'm not going to feign outrage if they do. 

But Kumar... !

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

This year hinges around what guys we've identified as future pieces are doing in the big leagues (Kremer, Akin, Mountcastle, Hays) and in the minors (AR, Diaz, Henderson, Rodriguez, Hall, etc).  I'm not so worried about wins and losses as I am seeing those guys contribute positively and getting better as the season goes on.

I'm expecting a significantly better team in 2022 and another big leap in 2023.  Of course it's hard to say what this will look like in 2 years but you can make some assumptions.

But yeah, Elias is gonna have some 'splainin to do here if it's not really coming together in 2022, IMO.  

Agreed. It's all about the younger players progressing and advancing in the system. If King Felix and Matt Harvey have surprise years and lift the Orioles to 80 wins (this is a thought exercise so please just follow along), but the younger prospects have setbacks I'm going to be concerned.

I just want to see evidence that the key pieces of the rebuild are on their way to becoming contributors when (hopefully) the Orioles contend for the playoffs again. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed. It's all about the younger players progressing and advancing in the system. If King Felix and Matt Harvey have surprise years and lift the Orioles to 80 wins (this is a thought exercise so please just follow along), but the younger prospects have setbacks I'm going to be concerned.

I just want to see evidence that the key pieces of the rebuild are on their way to becoming contributors when (hopefully) the Orioles contend for the playoffs again. 

Yep.  And not even if King Felix and Harvey have surprise years...if they spend any significant time in Baltimore, it's probably a sign that our youngsters aren't doing well.  It'd be cool if either one of those guys could turn it around but if they're getting the opportunity to do so, IMO it's not a good sign for our future talent.

“Spring training numbers can be deceiving and need to be processed in the appropriate manner, but the Orioles are slashing .202/.304/.295 in 13 games. The average and OPS rank last in the majors and their 45 runs are tied for 25th.”   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/rutschman-provides-lone-offensive-highlight-in-5-0-loss.html

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Spring training numbers can be deceiving and need to be processed in the appropriate manner, but the Orioles are slashing .202/.304/.295 in 13 games. The average and OPS rank last in the majors and their 45 runs are tied for 25th.”   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/rutschman-provides-lone-offensive-highlight-in-5-0-loss.html

On the flip side that also applies to players who have an exceptional spring training. (Picture unrelated ?)

Fox%252C+Jake+O%2527s+postcard.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a process Frobby.

We just have to be patient.

Remember the point of all of this isn't to win games, it's to build a farm system.

Just think how much talent they will have in the farm and how much ownership will have saved to pay players after another five years of this.

I hope its a new ownership group, or it might just be extra profits.  Its sad when the best way to watch O's spring training games is to live near Pittsburgh. 

We have not even seen this team yet to evaluate it.   Hyde is playing everyone and sometimes out of position.   Guys that have no chance of being on the team are in high leverage spots.   We get to see some good pitching performances followed by guys that have no business being in the game.   

I am still waiting to see what this team can do when they puts it together.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This year hinges around what guys we've identified as future pieces are doing in the big leagues (Kremer, Akin, Mountcastle, Hays) and in the minors (AR, Diaz, Henderson, Rodriguez, Hall, etc).  I'm not so worried about wins and losses as I am seeing those guys contribute positively and getting better as the season goes on.

I'm expecting a significantly better team in 2022 and another big leap in 2023.  Of course it's hard to say what this will look like in 2 years but you can make some assumptions.

But yeah, Elias is gonna have some 'splainin to do here if it's not really coming together in 2022, IMO.  

Mooselah, I agree with every word of this.   Mountcastle is hitting .105 this spring; Kremer has a 5.79 ERA, Akin 7.36.   None of those numbers really mean anything in the sample sizes we’re talking about; let’s just say the performance of these players hasn’t diverted me from the lousy overall play of the team.   

On the other hand, Rutschman .333/.500/.555 — drive him to the airport!

• Haha 1