DJ Stewart..breakout candidate?

Sports Guy

34 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Didn't realize he was barreling the ball that well and walking that much, but if he's struggling that hard with the fastball and can't play good defense, he's a role-player at best

He’s nothing more than a role player either way but he can be a valuable guy making no money for a while.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not a pitch you see that often, I'm sure it isn't a big deal.  Who throws fastballs?

I think Chris Davis threw one once but it wasn't that fast.  Phil Niekro never needed one and he's in the HOF.

Stewart’s major league line so far (.224/.334/.433) is pretty in line with his minor league line (.255/.358/.432).    More strikeouts and a little more power. I’m not sure if the power spike is real, and if it isn’t, he’s going to need to get his bat on the ball more to be a useful player.    301 PA spread over three seasons with lots of injury interruptions isn’t a great basis to judge whether he can make those adjustments.    

His vulnerability to fastballs last year is an interesting data point, and I’m sure we’ll see pitchers challenging him this year until he can prove he’s better than that.   He’s certainly proved he can slaughter a hanging breaking pitch.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Stewart’s major league line so far (.224/.334/.433) is pretty in line with his minor league line (.255/.358/.432).    More strikeouts and a little more power. I’m not sure if the power spike is real, and if it isn’t, he’s going to need to get his bat on the ball more to be a useful player.    301 PA spread over three seasons with lots of injury interruptions isn’t a great basis to judge whether he can make those adjustments.    

His vulnerability to fastballs last year is an interesting data point, and I’m sure we’ll see pitchers challenging him this year until he can prove he’s better than that.   He’s certainly proved he can slaughter a hanging breaking pitch.   

I'm interested in how much impact the changes to the ball will have.