2021 Orioles Hall of Fame Inductees Announced: JJ Hardy, Mike Devereaux and Joe Angel. Plus Mo Gaba will be honored as a 2020 Inductee.

OsFanSinceThe80s

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was at that game and remember back when every game at OPACY had 40,000+ fans in attendance. Special times. 

I remember watching that game on TV. Camera was following the flight of the ball, and at the VERY last moment Devo came flying into the picture and made this leap that almost defied human physics. Came down with the ball. Unbelievable catch!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was at that game and remember back when every game at OPACY had 40,000+ fans in attendance. Special times. 

I was there too.   Best catch I ever saw in person.   And still maybe the best ever at OPACY.

So not to downplay Devereaux' two big moments or his place on the Why Not? team, but he's solidly in the gray area for Orioles Hall of Fame induction.  He had two very good years, one year that was average, and three pretty poor seasons with the Orioles.

You could argue that Merv Rettenmund was a more deserving choice, and he's not that much different that Bob Nieman or Jackie Brandt or Don Baylor.  Baylor would almost certainly be higher on the pecking order if they hadn't kept sending him back to AAA to hit .330 year after year.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Devereaux clinched Oriole Hall of Fame-dom with this one swing of the bat. I was working at Roy Rogers the summer before my freshman year in college, so I didn't see it live, but on the way home the radio guys were still in disbelief hours later.

o

A walk-off home run to left field against the California Angels ...... that phrase always reminds me of when I was in 9th grade in October of 1979, and John Lowenstein hit a walk-off home run to left field to give the Orioles a 1 game to 0 lead in the 1979 ALCS.

o

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So not to downplay Devereaux' two big moments or his place on the Why Not? team, but he's solidly in the gray area for Orioles Hall of Fame induction.  He had two very good years, one year that was average, and three pretty poor seasons with the Orioles.

You could argue that Merv Rettenmund was a more deserving choice, and he's not that much different that Bob Nieman or Jackie Brandt or Don Baylor.  Baylor would almost certainly be higher on the pecking order if they hadn't kept sending him back to AAA to hit .330 year after year.

It is a franchise that unfortunately has decades of meh to wade through.  But I think Mike should be in.  Hell I'd vote Delmon Young in for one hit.

• Upvote 1