Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Less than a 5 percent chance that Adley graduates and a 1 percent chance that DL Hall graduates in my opinion.

They are both probably going to the Futures Game in about 8 weeks - that's about 5 weeks ahead of Mountcastle's 8/21 debut last year where he landed so gracefully on "under 129.5" at-bats.

I haven't 95% given up yet on mid-July Adley, and a 250-300 PA investment this summer would be an encouraging sign for the offseason.    That mid-July to late-August range will tell us some about the relative importance of Prospect Rankings and MLB Wins for 2022.    

Regular disclaimer of course in longer term Rutschman will be whoever he's going to be, and this is just about OD 2022 readiness.

47 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

They are both probably going to the Futures Game in about 8 weeks - that's about 5 weeks ahead of Mountcastle's 8/21 debut last year where he landed so gracefully on "under 129.5" at-bats.

I haven't 95% given up yet on mid-July Adley, and a 250-300 PA investment this summer would be an encouraging sign for the offseason.    That mid-July to late-August range will tell us some about the relative importance of Prospect Rankings and MLB Wins for 2022.    

Regular disclaimer of course in longer term Rutschman will be whoever he's going to be, and this is just about OD 2022 readiness.

I would be very surprised if either moved up to AAA before the Futures game and anticipate at least a month at AAA for Adley. I think the Mountcastle treatment is the soonest we could hope for.

Hall isn't going to throw 50 MLB innings no matter what, so he would only lose rookie eligibility if he was called up before July 15 (45 pre-September days of service time), hence the less than one percent odds. Hall has made a lousy start, if he was lights out for his next 4 starts at Bowie, that could be enough to get him to AAA, but he would have to pitch incredibly there to move up to the majors in 6 weeks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ruzious said:

If they're still OPSing over a thousand in mid June,, I'd like to see Henderson and Westburg in Aberdeen.    

They are clearly on another tier than guys like Hernaiz and Servideo, who need to play every day. Moving those two up has the added benefit of freeing up that opportunity, but it squeezes Ortiz at Aberdeen, which is unfortunate because he’s done well so far, but isn’t ready to move up. Good problems to have though!

Just now, CarrRun49 said:

Makes you wonder what exactly?  Interested to see this take.

Whether the swing is adaptable to better stuff/velocity. Love the natural power and ability to go oppo in general, but is he late often?

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Whether the swing is adaptable to better stuff/velocity. Love the natural power and ability to go oppo in general, but is he late often?

Kid is 19.  If he is taking middle middle and middle away pitches to the opposite field for dingers, I don't think there is too much cause for concern.  If he were rolling over trying to pull the ball into right field, I'd be a bit more worried.  Functional strength will also come as the body progresses.  Bat speed will not be an issue.

2 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

They are clearly on another tier than guys like Hernaiz and Servideo, who need to play every day. Moving those two up has the added benefit of freeing up that opportunity, but it squeezes Ortiz at Aberdeen, which is unfortunate because he’s done well so far, but isn’t ready to move up. Good problems to have though!

Ortiz played 2B last night.

32 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Kid is 19.  If he is taking middle middle and middle away pitches to the opposite field for dingers, I don't think there is too much cause for concern.  If he were rolling over trying to pull the ball into right field, I'd be a bit more worried.  Functional strength will also come as the body progresses.  Bat speed will not be an issue.

That is my assumption too. I'm bullish on the kid, but a long swing path or various other feet/hip things (none of which I have seen reported) could be a part of a LF approach. They're more correctable, generally, than something like low velocity, but still could be issues.

Hell, I'm just a guy on the internet watching a young LF kid hit 4 bombs down the LF line. It's odd, but hopefully not indicative of a swing issue that presents itself against better competition.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ortiz played 2B last night.

Yeah, they're shuffling players around just like Delmarva is. Ortiz at 2B made room for Hall to get a start at SS....another guy who will get squeezed when Henderson/Westburg get promoted. And it's not like Hall and Ortiz are nothing prospects. It was just weeks ago that a number of people were saying we need more infield depth in the minors. On the corners perhaps......but middle infield we are just overflowing. 

I'll just add this. If I were pitching against Gunnar, I'd bust him inside with fast balls until he showed he can turn on one. An extreme oppo or pull hitter typically has a weakness on the other side of the plate. Or at least often.

Again, I have no idea if that's happening with Henderson. Just makes me wonder after seeing 4 bombs straight down the LF line.