Renato Nunez cut by Tigers

Jammer7

The fact that Nunez is waiver wire fodder just goes to show how far the value of the home run hitter has decreased because the fact that almost everyone hits them now. Basically you have to bring another skill t0 the table like a high average and/or the ability to draw a walk to your offensive game if you bring no value at defense. 

He's also the kind of player that gets hurt by the idiotic decision to go away from the DH in the National League.

He's only 27-years old so I still would not be surprised if someone signs him and he ends up hitting 25-30 homers while OPSing over 750 if given everyday PAs.

• Upvote 3

• 4 months later...

Well he’s now been DFAd by the Tigers after spending the year in AAA(.968 OPS). He had a brief stint with the big club that wasn’t pretty but did hit 4 HR in 14 games. 

I know people here are thinking wtf, but he’s insurance for DH next year if we trade Mancini.  Nunez is still only 27.  

If we had to DH him 140 games I think he’d put up close to his Oriole career OPS of .783, and do so at the league min. 

Ok, laugh away. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's a guy that should sign a Japanese league contract. He'd probably hit 70 home runs over there!

Haha. Isn’t OPACY built for him?  He’s the anti Casey Kotchman, that’s for sure. No glove. Just all RH power. 

In all seriousness, at least opposing managers would switch pitchers late in the game when he was coming. We don’t have too many hitters other teams fear now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Haha. Isn’t OPACY built for him?  He’s the anti Casey Kotchman, that’s for sure. No glove. Just all RH power. 

In all seriousness, at least opposing managers would switch pitchers late in the game when he was coming. We don’t have too many hitters other teams fear now. 

He's certainly way better a hitter than Franco and although he might not make some of the really good plays Franco makes occasionally, he probably wouldn't have been much worse overall, especially when you take into consideration the added offense he would have brought.

59 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's certainly way better a hitter than Franco and although he might not make some the really good plays Franco makes occasionally, he probably wouldn't have been much worse overall, especially when you take into consideration the added offense he would have brought.

I'd have rather had him this year instead of Franco.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well he’s now been DFAd by the Tigers after spending the year in AAA(.968 OPS). He had a brief stint with the big club that wasn’t pretty but did hit 4 HR in 14 games. 

I know people here are thinking wtf, but he’s insurance for DH next year if we trade Mancini.  Nunez is still only 27.  

If we had to DH him 140 games I think he’d put up close to his Oriole career OPS of .783, and do so at the league min. 

Ok, laugh away. 

Hahahaha

yes, WTF.

Edit: Actually, I was just thinking that I would rather have him than Stewart, And if we could get him for league minimum, which we probably could, And if he never sees the field, which you never know with this team, then I don’t mind bringing him on board Until we find a warm body who is better.

Edited by Philip

14 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

DIng Ding Ding Ding Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Were they serving chicken on the Titanic?  Preferring Nunez to Franco is akin to eating dinner and asking the band to take a request while the ship is sinking.  

(Yes, I'm fully aware that I made that preference, too.  But while we're here, I'll happily state my preferences on which players I'd like to watch be horrible on my horrible team.)

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Were they serving chicken on the Titanic?  Preferring Nunez to Franco is akin to eating dinner and asking the band to take a request while the ship is sinking.  

(Yes, I'm fully aware that I made that preference, too.  But while we're here, I'll happily state my preferences on which players I'd like to watch be horrible on my horrible team.)

Moose... I hope you know I'm declaring you the winner of the chicken dinner. Just eat it quickly before the Titanic sinks and get your butt onto a lifeboat. 

• Upvote 1