Yusniel Diaz is one swing away from the majors

wildcard

Looks like the final spring AB count was Yusniel 36, Nevin 33, McKenna 28, Adley 26, Jahmai 22, Westburg 9, Gunnar 6, Vavra 5.   

I have been a Glass Half Full Nevin guy, and he did get a good look in camp.   I hope Yusniel gets to go first, but that does need the club to change RMC's position mid-year if guys mostly stay healthy.    If Nevin outperforms Diaz in the first half of Norfolk, I can imagine him muddying the water for first call up on the four corners/DH half of the lineup.    The vanished 2020 probably would have been an almost full AAA year for both of them.

I think more likely Nevin not Yusniel gets the task of trying to defend the org's International League MVP.   (RBI's!)    Yusniel's defense gives him the 2-way player edge, but infield waaaay easier than outfield with LF Mountcastle.

If we keep all our good hitters, Kjerstad takes the Mancini baton when Trey hits FA, but with a very good year Nevin might be competitive $$$/WAR-wise even next year.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To be fair, you are the pessimistic person on this board w/r/t anyone in the system being part of the future.

Barring injury himself, Diaz will be here by June and between DH and the OF, he should be able to play 4+ times a week.

Give me reasons to be optimistic and I'll give you more reasons why I shouldn't be.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Track record, bro.  Not like the Orioles have been the best at drafting and developing over the years.  But I suppose that's illogical.  

Yea, it kinda is.  Different regimes and all.  Who cares if they couldn't develop guys ten years ago under Andy.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, it kinda is.  Different regimes and all.  Who cares if they couldn't develop guys ten years ago under Andy.

Different regimes, same outcome.  The Redski -er, WFT are almost always terrible, so are the Orioles.

Both franchises have had respective constants over the years.  You can probably put it together as to who those people are.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Different regimes, same outcome.  The Redski -er, WFT are almost always terrible, so are the Orioles.

Both franchises have had respective constants over the years.  You can probably put it together as to who those people are.

Theoretically  that constant has changed.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Track record, bro.  Not like the Orioles have been the best at drafting and developing over the years.  But I suppose that's illogical.  

It is..different players, different way of doing things, etc...

And while they haven’t don’t great in that area, they have still developed some players.

2 hours ago, bobmc said:
  • "Nunie" gonna stay with Tigers for the meantime.
  •  
  • Renato Nuñez will remain with the Tigers and head to the alternate training site to begin the 2021 season even after being informed that he didn’t make the Opening Day roster, writes Evan Woodbery of MLive.com. Hinch called the decision “great news for us” and said he expects Nuñez to eventually be up with the big league club. Nuñez, 27 on Sunday, slugged 43 homers with the Orioles from 2019-20 but didn’t exactly force his way onto Detroit’s roster with a spring they couldn’t ignore. In 13 games and 32 plate appearances, he slashed .194/.219/.355 with a homer and a dozen strikeouts (37.5 percent).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/central-notes-tigers-cabrera-nunez-cubs-pirates-ponce.html

thanks, guess I read something wrong, 

The reason for optimism is simple... this is the ONLY way we are working now. No big spending in the FA market, and the investment in developing as much lower level talent as possible. History has taught us one thing... that we're in it for the long haul, that there are no get rich quick schemes, and that while it'll probably take a lot longer than any of us imagined... we can live in hope while we are pontificating the vales of those that are in the system.

You really can't ask for any more than that.