Note on Connor Greene

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol @ the numbers for the rule 5 guys who “earned” their way here.

What a joke.

If they aren’t good they will be sent back. Who cares? Wells struck out Aaron Judge, Stanton and Gary Sanchez like 3 days ago. I highly doubt they’ll both be here by the summer. Weird to get bent out of shape about this.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

If they aren’t good they will be sent back. Who cares? Wells struck out Aaron Judge, Stanton and Gary Sanchez like 3 days ago. I highly doubt they’ll both be here by the summer. Weird to get bent out of shape about this.

But...but...but...Elias is all about earning your promotions. 

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But...but...but...Elias is all about earning your promotions. 

I must be missing your point here.   You either keep a Rule 5 guy or you don’t.    It’s not like we have the option of sending these guys to the minors.    

And I don’t think there’s any doubt that things like the option rules influence who makes the roster and who doesn’t.   No rational person would say that rosters are constructed without regard to that stuff.   

In other news, if I have a piece of chicken in my refrigerator that’s going to go bad if I don’t eat it in the next day or two, and a nice juicy steak I just brought home from the grocery store, I eat the chicken first.    Doesn’t mean I think it’s better than the steak.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I tested this and now I have to agree with you.   I looked at Greene’s longest outing, March 23 when he pitched innings 5-7.    In that game he faced 10 batters, 5 of whom had played in the majors, 1 AAA, 3 AA and 1 A+.   That would grade out to 8.5 as I understand the scale.  There’s no way for him to average out at 2.9 over 9 IP if he averaged 8.5 over 3 IP.   So, I don’t know what went wrong, but the OppQual shown for Greene is incorrect.   

Thanks for doing a little research. I thought that OppQual was off particularly in a year where so few young prospects played in spring training because of the later start date for them and COVID rules.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I must be missing your point here.   You either keep a Rule 5 guy or you don’t.    It’s not like we have the option of sending these guys to the minors.    

And I don’t think there’s any doubt that things like the option rules influence who makes the roster and who doesn’t.   No rational person would say that rosters are constructed without regard to that stuff.   

In other news, if I have a piece of chicken in my refrigerator that’s going to go bad if I don’t eat it in the next day or two, and a nice juicy steak I just brought home from the grocery store, I eat the chicken first.    Doesn’t mean I think it’s better than the steak.   

This may be the best analogy for what it going to go on this year that I've seen. Well done! But not the steak! ;)

• Haha 2

I like Connor Greene a lot; great potential find, but he hasn't relieved full time before.  I noticed he's wind up pitcher too.  Do they send him to AAA for a month, get him comfortable as a reliever, maybe put him in the stretch, and then we see him in May?

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I tested this and now I have to agree with you.   I looked at Greene’s longest outing, March 23 when he pitched innings 5-7.    In that game he faced 10 batters, 5 of whom had played in the majors, 1 AAA, 3 AA and 1 A+.   That would grade out to 8.5 as I understand the scale.  There’s no way for him to average out at 2.9 over 9 IP if he averaged 8.5 over 3 IP.   So, I don’t know what went wrong, but the OppQual shown for Greene is incorrect.   

Everybody can breathe again…