John Means 2021

Il BuonO

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

The change up wasn’t sharp, left a lot of pitches in the middle of the plate.

Well, mediocre as he was, he got through 5 IP in 78 pitches.  That’s something to build on.   Agree he wasn’t sharp, but hopefully he can home in over the next couple of starts.   

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

The change up wasn’t sharp, left a lot of pitches in the middle of the plate.

I just hope it's not the ban on sticky substances that is making Means look ordinary. People will be wondering if there is anything to the substances ban until the Means returns back to all star form. 

Personally I think it's just rust and he'll look better after 2 or 3 starts. 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I just hope it's not the ban on sticky substances that is making Means look ordinary. People will be wondering if there is anything to the substances ban until the Means returns back to all star form. 

Personally I think it's just rust and he'll look better after 2 or 3 starts. 

People said  Cole's career was over because of the ban on sticky sruff and then he went out and threw a 9 inning shutout.  Obviously the sticky stuff helped pitchers, but it didn’t make a mediocre pitcher an ace.

• Upvote 1

Arozarena saw the ball really well against Means last night. I don’t know if that’s spin rate or having a good idea of what’s coming but he teed off a couple of times. 

I doubt the sticky substance ban has too much of an impact. He’s always changed speeds and changed locations really well. He should be fine, just don’t expect the guy who pitched to a 1.21 ERA his first 52 IP. 

The O's have been careful with Means all year. He just came off the IL. But he gets sent out for the 7th at 75 pitches.

Makes my simple little mind think trade talks and a potential buyer wanted to see him pitch deeper in a game.

16 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

The O's have been careful with Means all year. He just came off the IL. But he gets sent out for the 7th at 75 pitches.

Makes my simple little mind think trade talks and a potential buyer wanted to see him pitch deeper in a game.

He threw 78 pitches last game, pushing him to 90ish pitches today seems pretty reasonable.