Matt Harvey 2021

Il BuonO

“There’s no talk of taking him out of the rotation,” Hyde said, “so we’re going to give him the ball when it’s his turn and hopefully he can turn this thing around.” MASN

I hope this is just media speak. This kind of commitment to a veteran on a one year deal just doesn’t make sense when he’s just completely overmatched out there, and there is a wave of young pitching trying to get their footing in the majors, and an even stronger wave in AA/AAA. 

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see why you would put him in the pen instead of hitting him with a DFA.  All he's going to do in the pen is take up a slot that can be used by a younger player and limit flexibility since he can't be sent down.  Is any potential upside worth that?  He's not going to be able to accumulate any trade value.  Just call it a day.

Hard to argue this...

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Hard to argue this...

I’d argue it..what young arm would he be blocking that we care about?

Lakins?  Scerelor? Valdez (not young but still)? 

I don’t have an issue trying it out because we don’t have anyone else ready to come Up that matters unless you want Vespi up now.

14 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

“There’s no talk of taking him out of the rotation,” Hyde said, “so we’re going to give him the ball when it’s his turn and hopefully he can turn this thing around.” MASN

I hope this is just media speak. This kind of commitment to a veteran on a one year deal just doesn’t make sense when he’s just completely overmatched out there, and there is a wave of young pitching trying to get their footing in the majors, and an even stronger wave in AA/AAA. 

Yea, this goes back to what I have said recently about not understanding some of the roster moves from Elias, who sits there and tells us how development needs to happen yet you are blocking that development with a guy who has no business being on the team.

Once he established that he’s not a ML Pitcher and would have no trade value, you move on.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, this goes back to what I have said recently about not understanding some of the roster moves from Elias, who sits there and tells us how development needs to happen yet you are blocking that development with a guy who has no business being on the team.

Once he established that he’s not a ML Pitcher and would have no trade value, you move on.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t have an issue trying it out because we don’t have anyone else ready to come Up that matters unless you want Vespi up now.

That is some serious arguing for the sake of arguing.

I ain't even mad, that's impressive.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is some serious arguing for the sake of arguing.

I ain't even mad, that's impressive.

We are talking about a starter vs a reliever though.  We aren’t blocking any relief prospect by moving him there.  We are blocking starters.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I say its hard to argue just moving on....you say you'd argue it.  2 minutes later...you're ready to move on too.  Are you rewatching last nights game?

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I say its hard to argue just moving on....you say you'd argue it.  2 minutes later...you're ready to move on too.  Are you rewatching last nights game?

Again, I’m talking about relieving vs starting.  No issue with him going to the pen.  But he has no business starting a game again.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sceroler is 26 and have not played at AA yet.   He last played at A+ ball for the Reds in 2019.  The Reds did not invite him to their Alternate Camp last year and did not protect him in the Rule 5 draft.   He has not performed well since being taken by the O's. 6.43 ERA in ST, 14.29 ERA in the regular season,  16.62 ERA at AAA.   The question is will the Reds pay 50k to get him back?

Why is he here if he isn’t worth 50k?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why is he here if he isn’t worth 50k?

Someone in the O's organization thought he was worth 100k to take a look.  So far it has not gone well.  On the other hand Tyler Wells looks like a keeper.   Sometimes they win and sometime it does not work out.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Someone in the O's organization thought he was worth 100k to take a look.  So far it has not gone well.  On the other hand Tyler Wells looks like a keeper.   Sometimes they win and sometime it does not work out.

That’s fine. I’m just pointing out the obvious. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That’s fine. I’m just pointing out the obvious. 

I guess you are going to have to spell it out for me because its not obvious to me.  I don't know what you are trying to point out.  I am sure its a good point.  I would like to see it.

I obviously think its time for Matt Harvey to go but I am not the one that counts.  The only thing I can think of why the O's would  keep him is that Holt thinks he can fix him.   Holt was gone for a couple of weeks.  Maybe Holt wants time to work with him to see if Harvey can improve his location of his pitches.

• Upvote 1