Matt Harvey 2021

Il BuonO

I think on the curve of a 32 year old post thoracic outlet syndrome guy, the partnership has already had a respectable outcome and it'll be interesting from here to see how long a leash he gets.    I believe/hope he's a baby step in earning consideration from other better pitchers for Baltimore as the team ramps up.   My best guess back in Brady Cobb recruitment is he told him We will pay you very well, please just come, and he still dilly-dallied all offseason.  I don't think Elias/Sig will navigate the market quite like that.

Harvey's even taken care of like 40 of the 1400-some innings, and probably will get another 30-ish.   I still think the story ends with an ERA around 6.00 before the All-Star break, and in the spring of Akin/Baumann disappointments (so far), its all good.   

27 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I still think the story ends with an ERA around 6.00 before the All-Star break, and in the spring of Akin/Baumann disappointments (so far), its all good.   

Wow, I thought I was the class skeptic on Harvey, but I guess not.

It’ll be interesting to see how he bounces back from this one.   

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Holt was AMAZING today!

Was he there? 

It was reported two days ago (Tweets by Roch and Dubroff) that Holt was away from the team tending to a personal matter and Holmes was acting pitching coach.   I had not heard if he had returned or not.   And was not able to watch today's game to see who made the mound visits.

So maybe he wasn't there today, and the lack of his expert guidance contributed to Harvey's poor performance.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Was he there? 

It was reported two days ago (Tweets by Roch and Dubroff) that Holt was away from the team tending to a personal matter and Holmes was acting pitching coach.   I had not heard if he had returned or not.   And was not able to watch today's game to see who made the mound visits.

So maybe he wasn't there today, and the lack of his expert guidance contributed to Harvey's poor performance.

Steve!! I thought Harvey was gonna lead us to the playoffs. What happened!? ?

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to see the Orioles go with a 9 man rotation.  Hear me out.....3 pitchers per game, 3 game rotations.  Each pitcher throws 3 innings max - at least 1x through the order but no more than 2 - then gets 2 days off.  You still have 3-4 other pitchers for back ups in case some of the guys can't get through their 3 innings.  

Alternatively, you could do 4 game rotations, so each pitcher gets 3 days off and can throw a side session in the middle day.  Then you only have 1-2 backups though.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, connja said:

I would like to see the Orioles go with a 9 man rotation.  Hear me out.....3 pitchers per game, 3 game rotations.  Each pitcher throws 3 innings max - at least 1x through the order but no more than 2 - then gets 2 days off.  You still have 3-4 other pitchers for back ups in case some of the guys can't get through their 3 innings.  

Alternatively, you could do 4 game rotations, so each pitcher gets 3 days off and can throw a side session in the middle day.  Then you only have 1-2 backups though.

Back when we were contenders, I suggested doing something like this to prop up our rotation of #2's, 3's and5's...  I still think it's a model worth doing the logistics on.  I don't think it would work today, however, given we have a #1 on the DL and 5 number 5's behind him...  Back when we had a whole pile of #2's to throw at everyone, it might have worked. ;)