Hays or Mullins?

Bahama O's Fan

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hays is so talented, but some guys just can't stay on the field. Like Jeffrey Hammonds and Nolan Reimold, it sucks to see a player with so much talent who's body doesn't let them stay on the field.

The similarities between Hays and players like Hammonds and Reimold is getting harder and harder to ignore. Hays can no doubt play and play well at the MLB level, but the question is will he ever stay healthy enough to be a player the O's can count on.

With Reimold, I have no doubt he would have been a multiple time all star if he could have managed to play 140 games a season. 

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Maybe it's Hayes vs Santander.  It's hard to rely on 2 such injury-prone players.  Otoh, they can't really risk trading Hayes unless they get an incredible offer.  

I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you saying you can't trade guys if you might end up "losing" the trade?

Mullins looks great but I can’t ignore his overall stat line for his career. Perhaps Mullins will have a longer career and play more games than Hays.

Joe Orsulak played in over 350 games more than Grady Sizemore. At the end of the day you have to hope Hays stays on the field. 

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The O's aren't in a position where they can trade away a player with the kind of talent Hays has - unless they get an amazing offer.  Those are the kind of players they need to eventually compete.  

And anyone who's looking to trade for Hays is going to take a look at his injury history.  I don't think you could get an "amazing" offer for a guy who's got a .735 OPS in 76 games across 4 seasons because he's been hurt so much.  

You can talk about his talent all day long, that's fine.  No one disagrees that he's a talented guy.  But at some point the talent doesn't matter...staying on the field does.  I don't think we'd get an "amazing" offer for him strictly because of that. 

So we're most likely stuck with him.  Maybe he shakes off the injury thing, maybe he doesn't.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The O's aren't in a position where they can trade away a player with the kind of talent Hays has - unless they get an amazing offer.  Those are the kind of players they need to eventually compete.  

Then you run the risk of not improving your team and ending up with nothing if Hays can't stay healthy. 

You can't get overly attached to potential.

I'm not saying trade him, but my price would be below amazing.