Dean Kremer 2021

Il BuonO

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias is not saying he does not care about winning.  Here is an interview with Rob Long where he talks about wanting to win this season.

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/authors/big-bad-morning-show

And you actually believe that, despite everything he has said and done contradicting this?

Btw, I’m sure he would happy to win if the young players produce and play well.  

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just a dumb decision.  Dumb decisions are never trivial imo.

Does it stunt his development?  No, of course not.  It’s just poor.  When you are saying the season means nothing, we don’t care about winning, etc...the single most important thing is getting guys out there and giving them as much experience as possible.

We already know Lopez isn’t good.  We don’t need to keep seeing more of him to prove that.

And Lopez wasn’t dominant the other day either.

I guess you watched a different game than I did.    I consider allowing 3 baserunners in 5 innings while striking out 8 and throwing 65% strikes to be a pretty dominant outing.   

And no, I’m not under any illusion that Lopez will pitch well consistently.    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess you watched a different game than I did.    I consider allowing 3 baserunners in 5 innings while striking out 8 and throwing 65% strikes to be a pretty dominant outing.   

I don't think we know what Lopez will do under Holt.   He has the stuff.  And so far he seems good for the first few innings.  Its a question of maintaining the control.    Being able to get through the lineup several times.   And I think a lot of it is him having confidence in his stuff.   He has a long history of being bad.  He knows that.  He need to keep building.   I like what Holt is doing with him so far.   We will see how much he can improve over past seasons.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He gave up 2 homers and pitched 5 innings.

I think dominant is a too strong a word.

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That seems very unlikely to me.   Kremer already had 53 days of service time coming into 2021, due to the fact that every day of service last year was counted as 2.7 days.    Kremer would have to be in the minors for more than two months to finish this year with less than a year of service time.    At the same time, he’s not a super two candidate in any way, shape or form.   

Font

Kremer is the 5th starter and there are two off days. I don't know if they have said who replaces him, but if he is optioned we get an extra player whereas if we skip Lopez we don't. Lopez is out of options so this is our last chance to get a look at him. This was likely planned weeks in advance. I don't see anything to get worked up about. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Kremer is the 5th starter and there are two off days. I don't know if they have said who replaces him, but if he is optioned we get an extra player whereas if we skip Lopez we don't. Lopez is out of options so this is our last chance to get a look at him. This was likely planned weeks in advance. I don't see anything to get worked up about. 

Lopez can still go to the pen.  No one is saying to send him down, DFa him or anything like that, so his options status means nothing in this situation.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Lopez can still go to the pen.  No one is saying to send him down, DFa him or anything like that, so his options status means nothing in this situation.

It is a minor factor because optioning Kremer allows us to get an extra arm after five games in four day. 

PitcherList.com's SP Roundup is a nice daily resource I've stumbled on to this year.   They had this takeaway from his appearance yesterday:

Dean Kremer @ TEX (ND) – 4.2 IP, 1 ER, 5 Hits, 1 BBs, 6 Ks – 10 Whiffs, 33% CSW, 79 pitches.

Is this a proper bounce back? Sadly, no, and this whole thing is going to ignore the fact he was optioned after this game (he’ll be back). His cutter, the one pitch that has made Kremer an intriguing arm, was abandoned in this one in favor of a straight four-seamer/curve combo. Maybe that’s the answer, but I’m shocked to see it work as well as it did. Now if all three can work in tandem, then I think I can jump back in but for now, I’m going to blame it on the Rangers.

• Upvote 1

Such drama.

A kid is missing one start and I’m sure he can throw a sim game when he would have been due to pitch, in Bowie as well. 

Get another reliever for 10 days instead of a wasted roster spot. It disrupts nobody including Kremer.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Such drama.

A kid is missing one start and I’m sure he can throw a sim game when he would have been due to pitch, in Bowie as well. 

Get another reliever for 10 days instead of a wasted roster spot. It disrupts nobody including Kremer.  

Exactly. He also pitched on short rest in his last start...no need to waste him on a BP when he can rest and hit a sim game.

So as you can read above, I was in favor of this move.   Kremer pitched Saturday the 17th, and I thought sending him down would allo w him to pitch in Bowie yesterday and be able to come back on the 27th (next Tuesday), when we next would need a 5th starter.

However, Roch claims today that he has to stay down until the 28th, which means we will have to come up with a 5th starter from the bullpen or somewhere else before Kremer can come up.   

Is this correct?   If he pitched on the 17th, why couldn't he come back up on the 27th?

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/wondering-how-rotation-works-through-the-weekend.html

• Thanks 1