Dean Kremer 2021

Il BuonO

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's still too early to give up on Kremer, but I'm starting to think that he's no more than a 4th or a 5th starter.

o

One of the few advantages of playing in a season in which the team's hopes for a playoff berth are essentially nil ...... you can keep throwing a young prospect out there every 5 games as long as you want, and not have to be particularly concerned as to whether or not you finish the season at 65-97, or 68-94, or 71-91.

o

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Still too early to give up on Kremer but I'm starting to think he's no more than a 4th or a 5th.

I'm not a big Kremer believer, but a 4th or a 5th would be terrific and way better than some of the guys the O's have trotted out for the past few years.  If Kremer becomes a reliable 4 or 5 I'd be ecstatic. I think he's destined for the bullpen, where he could also provide some good value.

Way to early to tell.  It’s going to come back to his command and control.  He has the stuff to be a starter.  He seems to have the right mindset as well.  Seems to be an intelligent guy.  

But none of that matters if the command and control can’t go with it.

Keep running him out there.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Way to early to tell.  It’s going to come back to his command and control.  He has the stuff to be a starter.  He seems to have the right mindset as well.  Seems to be an intelligent guy.  

Yep, no question.  In the immortal words of Viper - "Keep sending him up!"

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This.   He just doesn’t seem as sharp with his command as he was when we first brought him up last year.   He may have to be sent back down if he doesn’t get it together, but let’s give him a little time.

O's are not going to give up on Kremer as a starter any time soon.  They may send him down to work on things at some point but if they do he will be back.  A lot depends on who the O's have ready to replace him.  Is Lowther ready?  Has Akin made progress?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

In his last 3 ML starts, he has thrown a total of 8.2 IP.  He has given up 14 runs, 16 hits, 2 homers, 8 walks and struck out 10.

He's not missing many bats. Anything in the strike zone seems to get hit hard. 

If he can't make it through 3 innings in a start he is going to have to be sent down. You can still give him ample chances the whole year but for the sake of the arms in the bullpen he simply has to make it deeper in the game. Maybe they can perform some alternate site magic on him like they have for a handful of other guys. 

His command this spring and through his first two starts has been downright bad. He has the stuff to miss bats, but while he has struck out some guys, he's getting hit very, very hard. His 93.8 EV allowed is in the 1st percentile of all pitchers which means he's going barreled up often which is no way to go through life if your walk rate is going to be 16th percentile.

He's not getting anyone to chase out of the zone (7th percentile) and his Whiff rate in a poor 16th percentile. 

So basically you have  guy who can't get major league batters to chase or miss pitches much in the zone and when they do hit him they are hitting him very hard. 

I looked at the statcast number and tried to find something I liked, but I see a guy who's velocity is a bit down, his spin rate on his fastball has fallen, and he's getting behind hitters way too much.

He's gotten behind 1-0 on 19 of the 32 batters he's faced (59.2%). Those batters have hit .467/.526/1.000/1.526 off him compared to the 12 batters he's gotten ahead of 0-1 who hit .100/.250/.100/.350 off him afterwards.

It's just two games, but it appears getting behind has been a big issue.

He's also been absolutely terrible after 25 pitches with batters hitting .429 with 4 BB and 3 Ks in 16 PAs after those first 25 pitches.

Not sure if he's getting tired for some reason really quickly this year because this wasn't a problem last year or in the minors.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

One of the few advantages of playing in a season in which the team's hopes for a playoff berth are essentially nil ...... you can keep throwing a young prospect out there every 5 games as long as you want, and not have to be particularly concerned as to whether or not you finish the season at 65-97, or 68-94, or 71-91.

o

I have been calling for years to throw our  prospects in as many games as possible.  They are at least part of the Future, so lets weed the goats from the sheep, so to speak. Then we will know what to go after in the Draft, Trades, and other ways  of acquiring future players,  Had that been done more in the past few  years we would be further along in the developing of a competitive team than we are now.  Not based ONLY on age however.  Be selective in the weeding process.  W/L record be not the primary concern for this year and maybe next.  Then if the job is done right, we s/b competitive soon after that.