The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

I wonder if Cano down multiple days, that is only reason I can fathom not using best 8th inning guy.   I figured tomorrow Cano Felix might get conserved for Tampa but routine Saturday seemed like good spot.   Would rather Coulombe just gotten clean 8th after Baker on a bad night lucked out of the 7th.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What would you have liked him to do? Clearly Cano wasn’t available or Felix wasn’t. 

Baker had allowed 3 base runners already. Who do you pitch there ?

Exactly, it's Baker vs Rosario or Coulombe vs Pillar. Neither is a great option but Baker was looking shaky and had already faced 6 batters. Unless he was willing to do Cano-Bautista but he has been asking a lot of those guys. 

12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Hyde gave this one away.  Terrible bullpen usage.  

It didn’t work out, but I don’t agree.  He clearly didn’t want to use Cano, who pitched two innings on Wednesday.  

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly, it's Baker vs Rosario or Coulombe vs Pillar. Neither is a great option but Baker was looking shaky and had already faced 6 batters. Unless he was willing to do Cano-Bautista but he has been asking a lot of those guys. 

Right. Clearly they decided against that before the game.

Pillar isn’t any good. It was a meatball. Hope Danny bounces back. Orioles pen is good but with a rotation like ours anytime we play close games and they have a modest slump it shows up. Heck on Wednesday people complained Gibson stayed in too long. 

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Yeah, he should have had that. At the least he should have knocked it down.

Henderson has not looked spectacular at third.  That is somewhat concerning.  At least his throws the last week look better.  

I just personally do not like Hyde.  He does not exude confidence in me.  I wish we had someone different.  I dont want a nice guy manager.   That is for rebuild teams with crap on the roster.   Good teams need a Weaver type.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Rest him tomorrow. Try to win now when we have a one run lead. We may get blown out tomorrow 

He wants him for the whole year. These calls are made before the game. You don’t let the game situation change your plans, it’s May 6. 

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Why does Hyde try to get another inning out of Baker when he was lucky to get out of the last one? Why not give Coulombe a clean inning?

Riley ops is .312 points higher vs lefties this season then right handers and over .200 better for career.  You want Riley facing a right hander not a lefty.  Baker is the much better option to start inning.