Losing Loewen?

tywright

I wouldn't hold it against Loewen if he jumped ship for more money, but it is really nice to see him showing loyalty to the organization even if more money can be had elsewhere.

I really hope he makes it, from just about every report it seems like you'd have to work really hard to find a guy who is nicer and works harder than Loewen.

I just wanted to repeat a story from the 2007 FanFest. The team had announced that the player autograph sessions would end at 3:30. There was a table with Loewen, Markakis and Jaret Wright that had a long line. The instant the clock struck 3:30, Wright bolted from the table. Nick hung around to to sign 2-3 autographs but then left. Loewen looked up, saw the long line, and grabbed a stack of maybe 25 - 50 cards with his picture on them and started frantically signing them as fast as he could. He stuck around for a good five minutes after the others had left just signing as many cards as he could so that the people in line would not be disappointed. Believe me, the fans who had been waiting in that line for an hour or so really appreciated what he did. He's a good kid.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never wish anything but good luck to Loewen. I think the Orioles have given Loewen the opportunity to succeed as both a pitcher and a hitter; something I don't think as many ballclubs would be as generous about doing, and I'd really like Loewen to make something of himself in an Oriole uniform. He's always been a standup guy. Hopefully the opportunity he has received from us and the friends he's made in Baltimore will convince him to stay.

But he's Canadian, a Blue Jays fan, and in business for himself. Given the amount of money he's likely to receive in the future as a baseball player (a significant amount less than if he had remained healthy), if Toronto feels that he's worth more to them than the Orioles do, I can't blame Adam for trying to make as much money as he can and going to Toronto. I wish him the best, and I'm sorry it didn't work out for him here in Baltimore. I'll be a fan of his wherever he goes.

I just wanted to repeat a story from the 2007 FanFest. The team had announced that the player autograph sessions would end at 3:30. There was a table with Loewen, Markakis and Jaret Wright that had a long line. The instant the clock struck 3:30, Wright bolted from the table. Nick hung around to to sign 2-3 autographs but then left. Loewen looked up, saw the long line, and grabbed a stack of maybe 25 - 50 cards with his picture on them and started frantically signing them as fast as he could. He stuck around for a good five minutes after the others had left just signing as many cards as he could so that the people in line would not be disappointed. Believe me, the fans who had been waiting in that line for an hour or so really appreciated what he did. He's a good kid.

That's a cool story!

I'm not sure why some people on here are so willing to destroy the kid before he has even given thought to leaving us? Let him do something bad before criticizing him, eh?

The story there is the guys that didn't have an extra 5 minutes to spare for the fans that came out to FanFest, not the one that did.

How sad that doing such a simple and obviously right thing has come to be praiseworthy and notable.

The story there is the guys that didn't have an extra 5 minutes to spare for the fans that came out to FanFest, not the one that did.

How sad that doing such a simple and obviously right thing has come to be praiseworthy and notable.

I think the story is that people were actually standing in line for Jared Wright's autograph.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bob_elliott/2008/10/24/7186091-sun.html

Cito Gaston called Loewen and tried to recruit him.

Gaston was on the phone this week to Loewen, released earlier this week by the Baltimore Orioles. The Jays are in the hunt, along with the Seattle Mariners and the Orioles, for Loewen.

A second stress fracture to Loewen's left elbow forced him to give up pitching. He embarked on a Rick Ankiel-style comeback in attempt to make it to the majors as a hitter and attended the Orioles instructional league earlier this month in Sarasota, Fla.

"I spoke to the young man late Tuesday," Gaston said. "He's a nice kid and a fan of the Blue Jays. I promised him no matter what happens, I'll phone him back."

Some say the Jays lead the pack. As a Seattle scout said: "We don't even have a manager to call him up."

"They tell me he was like that kid down in Texas -- Josh Hamilton -- as a hitter," Gaston said.

Jays lead the pack?? I don't know about that

Blye Jays fan? yeah maybe when he was a kid

Josh Hamilton?? Well wouldn't that be nice

Exactly. We lost a top of the rotation, #4 pick. It's over. My heart has already been broken.

If he signs with someone else, good luck to him. He's a long shot at best, and even if we do sign him, he's going to be subjected to the Rule V every year, so we could lose him then too. It's his life and he doesn't owe anyone anything. He ruined his arm for the O's. If the guy wants to go to say, Toronto, and play close to home and make some good money, I can't fault him.

Can you explain this to me? How did HE ruin his arm? Was he doing crazy things with it on his off days that caused his bones to break or could it possibly be that some minor league pitching coach got him to throw across his body?

My guess is that it has something to do with the added stress from throwing across his body so much. This is something we have all discussed since he was in the minors.

I find it funny how many of you are arguing over something you have no idea about. Because someone writes an article stating that other teams are interested in Adam as a hitter, some of you have turned this in to Adam being a jerk and not loyal to the O's.

Have you talked to Adam to know what he's thinking? It's all speculation unless you have talked to him! Let it go and just see what happens.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bob_elliott/2008/10/24/7186091-sun.html

Cito Gaston called Loewen and tried to recruit him.

Jays lead the pack?? I don't know about that

Blye Jays fan? yeah maybe when he was a kid

Josh Hamilton?? Well wouldn't that be nice

Nice find. So people Cito Gaston trusts tells him Loewen is the next Josh Hamilton (sans drug issues)? That makes things a lot more compelling; doesn't it? And Roch basically guaranteed Loewen is staying. Maybe he should be in the Hangout's top prospects list.

Somebody teach him to play SS! :)

Nice find. So people Cito Gaston trusts tells him Loewen is the next Josh Hamilton (sans drug issues)? That makes things a lot more compelling; doesn't it? And Roch basically guaranteed Loewen is staying. Maybe he should be in the Hangout's top prospects list.

Somebody teach him to play SS! :)

Well, I proved that being a lefthanded shortstop can work.*

*Granted, it was at the Little League level.

Archived