Kjerstad still hasn't reported to alternate site [UPDATE: He's reported]

interloper

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The one positive for anyone going through that is that Grienke is out there.

True, but Grienke is also incredibly smart.  Not to say Kjerstad isn't, but Grienke's taken his issues and spun them in a way to make himself come across as some sort of eccentric genius (which he probably is) that people still like.  There's a generation of fans out there who don't remember that Grienke almost gave up the game due to his mental health issues.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I tend to think it also leans toward a mental health/anxiety issue given all the mystery surrounding Kjerstad's absence. I hate speculating at all, but when your number one draft pick from last year (and perceived as someone who will help return the Orioles back to glory) is MIA it's going to be noticed. 

I don't necessarily like speculating either but we're dorks on a baseball message board.  Speculating is what we're going to do.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

True, but Grienke is also incredibly smart.  Not to say Kjerstad isn't, but Grienke's taken his issues and spun them in a way to make himself come across as some sort of eccentric genius (which he probably is) that people still like.  There's a generation of fans out there who don't remember that Grienke almost gave up the game due to his mental health issues.

Bauer is trying so hard to be Grienke it's pure cringe.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

The Callis source.   Keyword = months-long

He has not played or done anything since last summer to exert himself, I would imagine it will be a few months before his body is ready to resume baseball activities. Spring Training would have taken what, six weeks? So, perhaps he takes two or three months, and he should be in games by late June or July. It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Nice to have the report date but it was obvious from the beginning that he hadn’t been cleared yet medically.

Lol.. You are too funny. Nostra "frickin" damus you are. He missed two report dates that the GM publicly put out. Nothing was "obvious" regardless of what you think you knew.

At this point I don't care anymore. Just glad he's finally reporting and let's hope he gets in most of his minor league season this year.

• Haha 1

I’m sorry to hear that it’s going to be a while before he can build up to game shape, but I’m glad to hear he’s OK and at least now we know where the hell he is.   Hopefully he’ll give an interview soon and let us know what’s been up.    

I’m kind of wondering, if he’s really not in shape to play, why send him to the alternate site instead of Sarasota?   Isn’t that where we usually send guys for rehab?

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sorry to hear that it’s going to be a while before he can build up to game shape, but I’m glad to hear he’s OK and at least now we know where the hell he is.   Hopefully he’ll give an interview soon and let us know what’s been up.    

I’m kind of wondering, if he’s really not in shape to play, why send him to the alternate site instead of Sarasota?   Isn’t that where we usually send guys for rehab?

Good point on location. I can only guess that perhaps the major league rehab guys are at the Alt Site until Minor League Spring Training is over in Sarasota? Only so much room down there due to COVID. And maybe they don't want rehab guys traveling from MD to Florida and back for COVID reasons? Does that somehow change their intake period? IDK.

I would imagine he starts at Delmarva by early June.  If he plays at a high level there for a few months, he goes to Aberdeen to finish out the year.  Best case scenario is he starts 2022 in Bowie.  Just depends on how good he is and how advanced the bat really is.  

If he is what they hope him to be, he’s still on the radar for Baltimore later in 2022.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would imagine he starts at Delmarva by early June.  If he plays at a high level there for a few months, he goes to Aberdeen to finish out the year.  Best case scenario is he starts 2022 in Bowie.  Just depends on how good he is and how advanced the bat really is.  

If he is what they hope him to be, he’s still on the radar for Baltimore later in 2022.

Look who became a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed optimist after all!  It's very heart-warming, thanks.

I guess you didn't say how 'likely' you think this scenario is though.  Personally I'm expecting to see this guy in Baltimore some time in 2023.  Would be thrilled if I'm wrong and your proposal here comes true.