Kjerstad still hasn't reported to alternate site [UPDATE: He's reported]

interloper

https://pressboxonline.com/2021/09/15/terps-te-chig-okonkwo-thrilled-to-be-back-after-bout-with-myocarditis/

This article is not about Kjerstad. It's about a MD tight end who missed all of last season with myocarditis.

I obviously don't know how similarly severe his affliction was to Kjerstad's, but the upshot is he's back and playing for MD football this season. Gives some hope that maybe this whole thing will pass for Kjerstad.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

https://pressboxonline.com/2021/09/15/terps-te-chig-okonkwo-thrilled-to-be-back-after-bout-with-myocarditis/

This article is not about Kjerstad. It's about a MD tight end who missed all of last season with myocarditis.

I obviously don't know how similarly severe his affliction was to Kjerstad's, but the upshot is he's back and playing for MD football this season. Gives some hope that maybe this whole thing will pass for Kjerstad.

Here’s hoping!  Would be awesome for Heston if he can make a full comeback and play the game he loves again. I look forward to hopefully following his journey on the field next season. 

15 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I’m still curious as to what caused the myocarditis. Seems like a very strange thing to happen. Granted I know nothing about it or if it just happens randomly. All the same I am so very happy for him and his family that they can move on from such an ordeal.

It's usually caused by a virus. I once had a mildly inflamed heart lining -- same source, probably a virus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myocarditis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352539

On 9/15/2021 at 5:21 PM, Explosivo said:

I’m still curious as to what caused the myocarditis. Seems like a very strange thing to happen. Granted I know nothing about it or if it just happens randomly. All the same I am so very happy for him and his family that they can move on from such an ordeal.

Isn't that what some basketball players have had over the years, like Hank Gathers?  Or is that something else.

You could have a virus and get over it when you are ten years old and years later get the heart inflammation.

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

Isn't that what some basketball players have had over the years, like Hank Gathers?  Or is that something else.

You could have a virus and get over it when you are ten years old and years later get the heart inflammation.

Looks like he and Reggie Lewis had cardiomyopathy. I have no idea if they’re similar. 

Didn’t EdRod have myocarditis last year after getting Covid?

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Looks like he and Reggie Lewis had cardiomyopathy. I have no idea if they’re similar. 

Didn’t EdRod have myocarditis last year after getting Covid?

The Orioles haven't confirmed it.  And we may never get official confirmation one way or the other.  It is what it is.  But there is a documented increased risk of myocarditis from COVID-19 in athletes.  So with Occam's Razor and all it seems fairly plausible.   Glad to see he seems to be recovering ok now.  Here's to him storming on the scene in 2022.  It'll be like we are getting TWO high first rounders next year!