Way too early but concerns

eddie83

SP has been solid. Most of SP ERA hurt due to inherited runs scoring. As season goes on though Means can’t start every game. 

The pen has not impressed me. I’m not down on Valdez after tonight but middle relief arms have not been good. Losing Harvey hurt. Really need Fry/Armstrong/Tate to step up. I like some of the talent but a ton of unproven arms. 

Quality of the at bats has been poor. I know this is not a great lineup but way too many K’s. Really only one game when they went off. Losing Hays hurt. Hope Stewart can be a spark. Just need to clean up quality big time. 

The defense has at times been very poor. I know this was not expected to be a great defense but tonight we gifted them 2 runs. 

At end of day I’m not trying to judge them off 8 games but if they don’t clean up some of these areas as the season goes on it will not be pretty. To be clear I know it’s early and I am trying to emphasize that. 8 games from now the pen may be throwing well and they are hitting better but SP may be a struggle. That said collectively they need to be crisper. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moshagge3 said:

I'm about ready to move on from Rio Ruiz. Jahmai Jones couldn't possibly hit worse, could he?

Hard for me to pick on any individual hitter right now. Most don’t look that good. As long as he handles himself well at 2nd he will get a long leash. 

6 hours ago, eddie83 said:

SP has been solid. Most of SP ERA hurt due to inherited runs scoring. As season goes on though Means can’t start every game. 

The pen has not impressed me. I’m not down on Valdez after tonight but middle relief arms have not been good. Losing Harvey hurt. Really need Fry/Armstrong/Tate to step up. I like some of the talent but a ton of unproven arms. 

Quality of the at bats has been poor. I know this is not a great lineup but way too many K’s. Really only one game when they went off. Losing Hays hurt. Hope Stewart can be a spark. Just need to clean up quality big time. 

The defense has at times been very poor. I know this was not expected to be a great defense but tonight we gifted them 2 runs. 

At end of day I’m not trying to judge them off 8 games but if they don’t clean up some of these areas as the season goes on it will not be pretty. To be clear I know it’s early and I am trying to emphasize that. 8 games from now the pen may be throwing well and they are hitting better but SP may be a struggle. That said collectively they need to be crisper. 

DJ had good resilient at-bats tonight. His talent for not swinging wildly and drawing walks should be a very good influence. And his throwing assist from LF is maybe one Mountcastle couldn't have done.

Severino has lazy or mind-wandering spells behind the plate and Sisco seems to have lost whatever mojo he once had.

Middle relief will improve, except maybe LeBlanc. I think it should be mentioned how Plutko, Sceroler, and Wells have impressed so far.

Worried about hitters learning to time Valdez though. Yes, not having Harvey is a loss but we have to accept that he will always be fragile. Can't depend on him.

• Upvote 1

Some positives as well.  Means looks like he can be a solid two starter on any team.  It will be interesting to see what they decided to do with him.  He is young enough that he could be apart of the team when they plan on winning.  So do they look to extend him at some point or use him in a trade if they feel they can get a haul for him next off season.  We still have long term questions at Ss and 2nd.  Maybe someone like the Padres and would be willing to trade a blocked player like CJ Abraham’s.   Zimmerman has looked solid as back end of rotation piece and stuff seems to be continuing to improve from 2 years ago.  Mullins has been great so far getting on base and being a lead off hitter.  He may not be that 4th outfielder but instead starting center fielder.  Mountcastle been a bit disappointing at plate and struggle in the field but he seems to be good enough athlete to play there long term if not I’d like to get him some time at 1st splitting with Mancini.  

• Upvote 1

Means, Zimmermann, Wells, Sceroler Mullins have been excellent, and no complaints. But that’s five out of 26.

Harvey, Scott, Santander, passing grades so far. That’s three more.

The other 18? Oy Gevalt 

The catchers both awful. Every time someone defends them, God kills a kitten. Infield defense is atrocious. Ruiz gets a longer leash because he’s trying to learn 2B on the fly, but he’s only trying to learn 2B on the fly because Sanchez was hopeless and got dumped. Jones is a terrible defender, but I’m willing to give him some time to prove how bad he is.

The overall infield defense is beyond bad. It’s laughable, and it’s sad.

I firmly believe Elias doesn’t want to deliberately field a terrible team, but if this continues, I’ll  maybe rethink that. We have better catchers at least, and I’d like to call them up.

46 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Some positives as well.  Means looks like he can be a solid two starter on any team.  It will be interesting to see what they decided to do with him.  He is young enough that he could be apart of the team when they plan on winning.  So do they look to extend him at some point or use him in a trade if they feel they can get a haul for him next off season.  We still have long term questions at Ss and 2nd.  Maybe someone like the Padres and would be willing to trade a blocked player like CJ Abraham’s.   Zimmerman has looked solid as back end of rotation piece and stuff seems to be continuing to improve from 2 years ago.  Mullins has been great so far getting on base and being a lead off hitter.  He may not be that 4th outfielder but instead starting center fielder.  Mountcastle been a bit disappointing at plate and struggle in the field but he seems to be good enough athlete to play there long term if not I’d like to get him some time at 1st splitting with Mancini.  

I would trade Means for Abrams straight up quicker than Abrams can make it out of the batters box. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Heck add Gavin and Franco to Ruiz. 3/4 of infield is horrible and the catchers ?

Just wait until Davis comes back from the 60 day injury list. ?

If Adley tears it up in the minor leagues a lot of fans are going to want him to get called up ASAP. And that isn’t going to happen since staring his service clock this year isn’t part of the plan. 

• Upvote 1

I think they look as expected. Pitching is what it is. Means is awesome and Zimmerman has been solid. RP is, as per usual on a rebuilding team, less than stellar. The lineup seems to be all (solo HR’s) or nothing (K’s). Maybe they need that Chris Davis spark! ?

8 hours ago, eddie83 said:

SP has been solid. Most of SP ERA hurt due to inherited runs scoring. 

Not really.   O’s relievers have allowed 8 of 22 inherited runners to score (36%).    League average is 36%.   So the relievers have been about average in that situation.  

What is true is that O’s relievers have faced the most inherited runners of any team in the league.   The league average is 12, the O’s are at 22.    I’m not sure if that’s because our starters are leaving a lot of messes, or because Hyde is yanking his starters in those situations while other managers are letting pitchers try to clean up their own messes.    

The infield is terrible. There’s not much in the upper minors to help out. IF depth is our organizations biggest weakness currently. That’s why you take Austin Martin and lock down 2B, or 3B, for a decade. 

I know why we did it, but this is a more complete team for only 5-7 mm more in salary if we kept Castro, Alberto, and Izturis. 

Hays being hurt is a blow, but the dude is always hurt. It would be nice to get some production for 2B, SS, and 3B. We have 2 relievers going well at the moment.  

We just have to be tougher. Not only do the Yankees beat the crap outta us, but then we have a hangover afterwards from playing them. 

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

DJ had good resilient at-bats tonight. His talent for not swinging wildly and drawing walks should be a very good influence. And his throwing assist from LF is maybe one Mountcastle couldn't have done.

Severino has lazy or mind-wandering spells behind the plate and Sisco seems to have lost whatever mojo he once had.

Middle relief will improve, except maybe LeBlanc. I think it should be mentioned how Plutko, Sceroler, and Wells have impressed so far.

Worried about hitters learning to time Valdez though. Yes, not having Harvey is a loss but we have to accept that he will always be fragile. Can't depend on him.

DJ is a 800 OPS sleeper.  Did he just become a defensive asset last night too?

I was advocating to cut Severino and pull up Wynns, but I think I am more on board for cutting Sisco now.  It looks to me like the scouting reports on him have shown pitchers that if you pitch to him correctly you can either make him ground out to 2B or K.  He looks like toast at the plate as his swing seems to cover very little of the plate.  I don't know how he won 2 milb hitting crowns with that swing.

Valdez is the solution for long/middle relief.  Plutko and two Rule V guys have been good, but mostly in low leverage situations.  Plutko is old doesn't flash great stuff.  I like both Rule V guys but I don't know if both can be strong middle relief options yet.