Way too early but concerns

eddie83

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Letting Hanser Alberto go looks even worse than it did at the time.  The offense from the infield other than Mancini (I think he bounces back) looks pathetic.  Meanwhile Hanser is batting .308 for the Royals.  Once pitchers get to the back end of our lineup, they have it easy. 

Alberto was defensively wildly inconsistent. He isn’t necessarily worse than what we have, But I contend he is neither and improvement, nor worth the money he would’ve cost. If we are going to spend money, let it be on someone who is meaningfully better than the slop that we currently have.

18 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I was thinking Means would be the only player to get that return, even if he is "blocked."

Like your quotes of blocked refer to, a talent of that level could play almost any position.  I would try him out at CF(which he has played), LF, RF, 3rd, 2nd all before considering him blocked or before trading him.  If come the trade deadline, Means is a real candidate for the Cy Young and the Padres are looking for that one piece, then maybe the stars align.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Meanwhile Hanser is batting .308 for the Royals.  Once pitchers get to the back end of our lineup, they have it easy. 

Posting batting avg. like it's 1983 again. ;)

(That said, Hanser beats Todd Cruz by about 100 pts. But in the context of this year's team and the rebuild, it means bupkees).

So, over the last year or so, other things have been taking up my time and interests. I've only occasionally been dropping in here to see what people are talking about and I gotta say, it's disappointing. Maybe (probably) I'm not getting the whole picture here, but I'm still seeing the same stuff being said that was being said after the 2019 season.

Basically, we still have a whole lot of question marks, a whole lot of suckage and a lot of optimism about things that are coming that should be good. Hays and Harvey have turned out as expected; great when healthy, but hurt too much to be reliable or counted on. Mostly bad pitching, bad offense, a lot of losing... I mean, shouldn't things be better than this going into 2021? It's disheartening to see people saying the same things they were two years ago. I thought the projection was 2022 for competing, but here we are in 2021 and still not really trying to win on an organizational level? I get that the players are trying to win, but have so many of the players that gave people optimism two years ago not turned out to be what was expected?

Please tell me it's not as bad as this.

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Like your quotes of blocked refer to, a talent of that level could play almost any position.  I would try him out at CF(which he has played), LF, RF, 3rd, 2nd all before considering him blocked or before trading him.  If come the trade deadline, Means is a real candidate for the Cy Young and the Padres are looking for that one piece, then maybe the stars align.

We seem to be on the same page. Abrams looks to be special enough that the term "blocked' would not apply to him.

But, Wow! As much as I believe Means is the real deal, that could be a trade beneficial to both teams.

1 hour ago, now said:

Posting batting avg. like it's 1983 again. ;)

(That said, Hanser beats Todd Cruz by about 100 pts. But in the context of this year's team and the rebuild, it means bupkees).

Oh god, get over it. Some batters have high batting averages year in year out while some don't. BA accounts for @ 80% of OBA league-wide. It tells us something about what the batter does.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

So, over the last year or so, other things have been taking up my time and interests. I've only occasionally been dropping in here to see what people are talking about and I gotta say, it's disappointing. Maybe (probably) I'm not getting the whole picture here, but I'm still seeing the same stuff being said that was being said after the 2019 season.

Basically, we still have a whole lot of question marks, a whole lot of suckage and a lot of optimism about things that are coming that should be good. Hays and Harvey have turned out as expected; great when healthy, but hurt too much to be reliable or counted on. Mostly bad pitching, bad offense, a lot of losing... I mean, shouldn't things be better than this going into 2021? It's disheartening to see people saying the same things they were two years ago. I thought the projection was 2022 for competing, but here we are in 2021 and still not really trying to win on an organizational level? I get that the players are trying to win, but have so many of the players that gave people optimism two years ago not turned out to be what was expected?

Please tell me it's not as bad as this.

It is bad.  I also can't tell if Elias actually wants to delay this long or if he is under payroll constraints that go well beyond slash payroll while rebuilding.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is bad.  I also can't tell if Elias actually wants to delay this long or if he is under payroll constraints that go well beyond slash payroll while rebuilding.

I agree with this sentiment. I think the glass is still pretty empty. Not having a minor league season last year hurts. If some of the prospects had played well last summer then it might be easier to be more optimistic. I’m hoping that happens this summer...good things happening down on the farm makes it believable that the rebuild will work and not take forever. Some of the moves and non moves feel like perpetual cellar dwelling. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m seeing this as a transitional year.   There will be a lot of prospects on the major league team by the end of the year.   Not too worried about the version we’re seeing right now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Oh god, get over it. Some batters have high batting averages year in year out while some don't. BA accounts for @ 80% of OBA league-wide. It tells us something about what the batter does.

Why so grumpy?
Either way, it's not like Hanser's BA would matter much in the scheme of this team's fortunes, this year or beyond.