Scott Garceau

Robh21223

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The single most important attribute of an announcer is to convey that the game is interesting.   Garceau has trouble doing that even if the game is in a critical moment, and when the game is out of hand he’s completely incapable of convincing you that there’s a reason to keep paying attention.   Thorne was really good at that, even in lopsided games.  

Now I don’t think Garceau is anywhere near the worst announcer I’ve heard.    But he’s not the best announcer in our own cadre, so why is he doing all the games.

Garceau is probably cheap.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

The play-by-play, IMO, has been horrible. The weakest I have heard in my thirty years of Orioles fandom. 

I think the exact same way. I was so incredibly dissapointed when Thorne wasn't returning. Maybe if Palmer said something along the lines of "if you don't re-sign Thorne than I'm out as well." Than maybe MASN would have kept him? I don't know. That's been running through my head everytime I hear Garceau announce. 

Edited by Beysbol

2 hours ago, Beysbol said:

I think the exact same way. I was so incredibly dissapointed when Thorne wasn't returning. Maybe if Palmer said something along the lines of "if you don't re-sign Thorne than I'm out as well." Than maybe MASN would have kept him? I don't know. That's been running through my head everytime I hear Garceau announce. 

If Palmer walked, would they replace him with his cheaper alternative, Storm Davis, a/k/a Cy Clone?

• Haha 1

I was giving Garceau the benefit of doubt when the team was on the road. I am sure that it's not easy to do PBP watching a monitor. But, he's been just as bad at home. I can live with his bland style. The unwatchable part that gets me talking to the tv is him constantly and consistently getting the players mixed up. He does it almost once an inning. It drives me nuts. 

• Upvote 1

He seems like a nice enough guy but he's very dull and he can't seem to keep up with the players involved in the play.  Like the other night, Cedric Mullins hit a double and the whole time he was talking about Chance Sisco. I had to make sure of what was going on because it made me think that Sisco was on base or something when Mullins hit the double. Palmer had to correct him, which he's had to do way too many times for a 2 week old season.

I wish Thorne was still here but I'm sure that ship has sailed.  Hunter was not as bad as people like to act. He was homer but not as big of a homer as someone like Hawk Harrelson.  My only real issue with Hunter was he acted a little too familiar with the players when calling the game and was never really willing to be critical. 

40 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

He seems like a nice enough guy but he's very dull and he can't seem to keep up with the players involved in the play.  Like the other night, Cedric Mullins hit a double and the whole time he was talking about Chance Sisco. I had to make sure of what was going on because it made me think that Sisco was on base or something when Mullins hit the double. Palmer had to correct him, which he's had to do way too many times for a 2 week old season.

I wish Thorne was still here but I'm sure that ship has sailed.  .   Hunter was not as bad as people like to act. He was homer but not as big of a homer as someone like Hawk Harrelson.  My only real issue with Hunter was he acted a little too familiar with the players when calling the game and was never really willing to be critical. 

You are overvaluing Hunter, who was Top-40 radio awful.   At least the Hawk was entertaining;  I doubt he ever hyped a two-game hitting streak.  Hard to believe any player took Hunter seriously.  He once told us that he shared a cab with Mike Tomlin and suggested to Tomlin that he trust his stuff.  Tomlin was soon thereafter replaced after failing as a closer.  Just pathetic to see Hunter jump in to be the first to respond to an Adam Jones tweet from Japan.   

Edited by Dreadnought
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I was giving Garceau the benefit of doubt when the team was on the road. I am sure that it's not easy to do PBP watching a monitor. But, he's been just as bad at home. I can live with his bland style. The unwatchable part that gets me talking to the tv is him constantly and consistently getting the players mixed up. He does it almost once an inning. It drives me nuts. 

Garceau has been bad enough that I'm actually thinking if I'd rather have Jim Hunter calling games from what I've seen. 

7 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

You are overvaluing Hunter, who was Top-40 radio awful.   At least the Hawk was entertaining;  I doubt he ever hyped a two-game hitting streak.  Hard to believe any player took Hunter seriously.  He once told us that he shared a cab with Mike Tomlin and suggested to Tomlin that he trust his stuff.  Tomlin was soon thereafter replaced after failing as a closer.  Just pathetic to see Hunter jump in to be the first to respond to an Adam Jones tweet from Japan.   

I thought Hunter was decent enough at play by play. As you're seeing from the comments in this thread, its not as easy as Hunter made it look. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Garceau has been bad enough that I'm actually thinking if I'd rather have Jim Hunter calling games from what I've seen. 

I like Scott on his radio shows and he's a great guy, but... man, I've actually thought about Hunter myself these days. And that's very weird because I spent most of my adult fandom dunking on Jim Hunter. MASN is really bad right now.

They have multiple scoreboard/count/out errors per game, too. Just so budget and shoddy right now. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Garceau on talk radio. He’s pretty bad as an announcer. Not really a difference in his style between the two. Thorne was a legit voice. 

I think Garceau's show worked well because he had Jeremy Conn to work off of. Classic straight-man/goofball combo that worked well to put together a decent show. Without someone else bringing that dynamic, he doesn't really have the charisma to carry a 3+ hour broadcast of a bad team.

MASN's broadcast at the moment is pretty much the perfect example of what I think is holding baseball back from expanding to a younger audience. Boring old guys in the booth, graphics/production from 2005, an app that doesn't work, poor social media outreach, and a blackout that makes it hard to watch the game.

• Upvote 2