Loewen speaks to Roch

Frobby

That stings, not because he's going to be any good, but because there seemed to an agreement.

Oh well, it's not like we'll ever see him in a Jays uniform.

I think it's obvious that the Jays would not have gone after Loewen if they didn't think there was a realistic chance he could make it. So writing him off is foolish.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blue Jays kind of broke an unwritten rule by signing Adam IMO. If I'm not O's, I do whatever it takes to make sure they lose Burnett. Well, maybe not anything, but I'd make sure I'd run the price up on them.

On a player standpoint, no big loss. Adam was off the mound more then he was on it, so he didn't make many strides as a pitcher. And I hope Adam is happy rotting in the Blue Jays farm system. IF he's lucky, he gets a charity spetember call up in 5 years, just so he can say his dream came true.

I thought it was a gentleman's agreement that he would re-sign? Shows what a cowardly person he is. I don't care how nice he is, this team did everything in their power to try and get him to the majors and he pulls this stunt? Good riddance to bad rubbish. Not only did they give him shot after shot to join the squad, but once his pitching career was over, they tried converting in some hopes he would become a MLer. It is disgusting.

Don't remind me. Considering we could've had either of the guys who started Game 1 of this year's World Series (not to mention Greinke or Fielder), it makes me want to puke. :puke:

Exactly...just the thought of Cole Hamels in our starting rotation makes me ill.

Did anyone ACTUALLY believe he'd be ever be a major league hitter?

This is just too inconsequential for me to really care.

I don't think anyone on here really knows. They just see that there is little historical evidence for this type of thing happening to an injured pitcher at age 24 without really focusing on Loewen's particular ability to hit a baseball.

It would appear that the Blue Jays think the only thing separating Loewen from the majors is about 1000 reps and that the Os FO is "steamed" about losing this particular hitter. We also know that the Os were discussing putting this former pitcher with so few at-bats at High A in Frederick - which would be a tacit admission, IMO, that the kid could hit.

Regarding Dipper's tasteless "screw him" comments, I think Frobby's line summed up my opinion 100%. The contract given to Loewen reflects what it took to sign Loewen - that's what the market was. Loewen does not owe us for that or vice versa.

Now the Sun has some quotes up:

"It was a lot tougher decision than when I decided to hang up pitching for my career," Loewen said. "I've been an Oriole all my life. I really don't know anything other than the Orioles. In that regard it was tough. But at the same time, I had the chance to play for a team I grew up watching. For me, that opportunity was a big one and I had to really consider it. I ended up talking to a lot of people and getting a lot of advice and I came to the conclusion that I wanted to be a Blue Jay."

"It has been something I've been struggling with ever since I got put on waivers and the possibility presented itself," said Loewen. "[The Orioles] fully did what they had to do and I was aware of that. They did everything on their part that they could do to try to sign me back. I love playing in Baltimore and I loved the coaching staff. Even when I went to instructional league, the coaching staff was outstanding. There was no animosity at all. I just thought this was an opportunity that doesn't come along very often. It was tougher than I could say. I'm excited to be a Blue Jay, but I'll never forget my time in Baltimore."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-orioles1024,0,3105557.story

According to my law student fiancee, who is currently knee deep in her contracts class, a "gentleman's agreement" can be considered a contract. I'd expect the O's to attempt to exact a pound of flesh from Loewen for this.

According to my law student fiancee, who is currently knee deep in her contracts class, a "gentleman's agreement" can be considered a contract. I'd expect the O's to attempt to exact a pound of flesh from Loewen for this.

Well, according to me (and I've been a lawyer for 25 years) there's not a chance that this particular "gentleman's agreement" was sufficiently certain to be enforceable as a contract.

Contracts don't have to be in writing to be enforceable (except in certain circumstances), but both sides have to have had a "meeting of the minds" on all material terms of the deal, and understand that they have agreed to be bound.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2008/10/loewen_leaves_orioles_at_the_a.html

Chances are, he would have just been taking up space and getting a disproportionate amount of attention in the player development system, perhaps even getting institutional deference over some more legitimate prospects because of the amount of money the Orioles already have invested in him.

I hope I'm wrong, because I think he's a nice kid and he's been through a lot. He clearly wanted to play in his home country and this was an opportunity to live out that dream to whatever extent is possible. I wish him the best and you should, too. He conducted himself well here and was a credit to the Orioles organization.

The thing didn't go down without some intrigue, since the Orioles were confident they were close to signing him to a minor league deal, but when they released him from his major league deal, he had a right to sign with the team of his choosing and he chose the one that was closer to his heart and home. Can't really blame him for that.

Archived