Mullins’ D

Section84

21 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Pretty sure everyone knows Mountcastle is a 1B or if the team is good enough a DH.  He is Billy Butler, except the Dbag personality.

Mountcastle is a much better athlete & runner than Billy Butler ever was. It’s a shame Mountcastle hasn’t excelled defensively at any position yet. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Philip said:

I’ve been screaming about Mountcastle’s D. Finally someone in the front office took my call, and now he’s DH

First base coach Anthony Sanders, also the outfield instructor, believes that a fourth position for Mountcastle can be the last.

“It’s been real positive since I came in last year,” Sanders said yesterday in a Zoom call. “A better athlete than I thought he was, a guy who can run a little bit more than I thought he could, and I like the improvements that he’s made all through the offseason and the work in spring training going into the season.

“It just sucks what happened the last couple days he’s been out there, a little setback. But again, the guy continues to work the right way and I think he’ll be fine. He just needs to get out there and keep building his confidence.”

And do it where Sanders insists is “the hardest position” to move a young player.

“I just think how the ball comes off the bat from most of the righties, those hard line drives, which are probably the toughest ones to read,” he said.

“A lot of times in right field, you get a lot of balls that fade away a little bit, and then obviously center field I feel is the easiest because you can see the whole field a little bit better. I think he’s made a good adjustment and I’m sure he’s going to be OK.

“I think just him getting more reps and more reads. This is not an easy place to play. The ball carries quite a bit. But his first step and stuff has been better. I just know the last couple days, he’s just been a little timid and slow to make a quick decision to fail. But before that, his first jumps, his routes, his angles that he takes, the ability to drop his head and get back to a spot has been a lot better. So it’s a work in progress every day.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/sanders-sees-sufficient-strides-from-mountcastle-in-left-field.html

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

First base coach Anthony Sanders, also the outfield instructor, believes that a fourth position for Mountcastle can be the last.

“It’s been real positive since I came in last year,” Sanders said yesterday in a Zoom call. “A better athlete than I thought he was, a guy who can run a little bit more than I thought he could, and I like the improvements that he’s made all through the offseason and the work in spring training going into the season.

“It just sucks what happened the last couple days he’s been out there, a little setback. But again, the guy continues to work the right way and I think he’ll be fine. He just needs to get out there and keep building his confidence.”

And do it where Sanders insists is “the hardest position” to move a young player.

“I just think how the ball comes off the bat from most of the righties, those hard line drives, which are probably the toughest ones to read,” he said.

“A lot of times in right field, you get a lot of balls that fade away a little bit, and then obviously center field I feel is the easiest because you can see the whole field a little bit better. I think he’s made a good adjustment and I’m sure he’s going to be OK.

“I think just him getting more reps and more reads. This is not an easy place to play. The ball carries quite a bit. But his first step and stuff has been better. I just know the last couple days, he’s just been a little timid and slow to make a quick decision to fail. But before that, his first jumps, his routes, his angles that he takes, the ability to drop his head and get back to a spot has been a lot better. So it’s a work in progress every day.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/sanders-sees-sufficient-strides-from-mountcastle-in-left-field.html

Yes I read that too. And it’s completely fluff. What else is the guy gonna say? “Yes he’s lousy.”

Mountcastle can run, but he can’t translate that above average speed to Defense, nobody argues that he can throw, he doesn’t read the ball well apparently and he doesn’t run good routes nor does he appear to have a sure glove.

The team has a lot invested in this guy and they really want him to succeed somewhere other than designated hitter, so we’re going to periodically get articles like this one.