Camp Game Results

SteveA

Little more from Rich’s blog:

The Orioles played their first alternate site game yesterday and defeated the Nationals 9-2 in Bowie.

Thomas Eshelman started and allowed an unearned run and two hits in three innings, with no walks and three strikeouts. Eric Hanhold struck out five batters in two hitless innings. Fernando Abad and Isaac Mattson each tossed a perfect inning with two strikeouts.

Richie Martin had two hits, including an RBI double, a walk and two stolen bases. Jahmai Jones and Yusniel Diaz homered and singled. Austin Wynns also homered and Brett Cumberland had two hits.

The teams meet again Friday in Fredericksburg

• Upvote 1

Keegan Akin started yesterday in Fredericksburg and retired the last eight batters in an 8-7 win. He allowed two runs in three innings. Eric Hanhold struck out two batters in a scoreless inning and Fernando Abad picked up the save with a 1-2-3 ninth.

Mason McCoy hit a three-run homer and doubled. Ryan Ripken had a single and double. Stevie Wilkersoncollected two hits and an RBI.

For some reason I thought Rutschman was on the alternate site roster, but I guess not.  http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?cid=3282

Looking at the 3 box scores, it’s notable that Wynns, Martin and Diaz each have only gotten into one of the games.  By contrast the following have played in all 3 (descending by number of at bats): Jones, Nevin, Bannon, Ripken, McCoy, Shaw, Cumberland, T. Davis.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

For some reason I thought Rutschman was on the alternate site roster, but I guess not.  http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?cid=3282

Looking at the 3 box scores, it’s notable that Wynns, Martin and Diaz each have only gotten into one of the games.  By contrast the following have played in all 3 (descending by number of at bats): Jones, Nevin, Bannon, Ripken, McCoy, Shaw, Cumberland, T. Davis.    

That’s due to them being on the Taxi Squad for the Texas/Miami trip and traveling with the MLB squad. Left Friday and there have been 2 “alternate” games since.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

That’s due to them being on the Taxi Squad for the Texas/Miami trip and traveling with the MLB squad. Left Friday and there have been 2 “alternate” games since.

This is good information, thanks.  This makes zero sense to me though.  I thought Diaz was supposed to be a top prospect that the organization wanted to get more minor league at bats before bringing him up to the big leagues.  How is he supposed to get at bats traveling around on the taxi squad? The other guys make sense they have had some major league experience and we pretty much know what they are.

48 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

This is good information, thanks.  This makes zero sense to me though.  I thought Diaz was supposed to be a top prospect that the organization wanted to get more minor league at bats before bringing him up to the big leagues.  How is he supposed to get at bats traveling around on the taxi squad? The other guys make sense they have had some major league experience and we pretty much know what they are.

Two reasons for Diaz:

Taxi Squad players still workout and take batting practice with the team, the only thing they don’t do is play. They still get the rest of that experience where they hit, field, ect with MLB coaches right now.

The other reason is why Hyde had McKenna on the last trip or two: Get him used to the daily MLB schedule, with travel, hotel, meetings, workouts, ect so that he has hit feet wet when he first gets “The Call.”

12 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Two reasons for Diaz:

Taxi Squad players still workout and take batting practice with the team, the only thing they don’t do is play. They still get the rest of that experience where they hit, field, ect with MLB coaches right now.

The other reason is why Hyde had McKenna on the last trip or two: Get him used to the daily MLB schedule, with travel, hotel, meetings, workouts, ect so that he has hit feet wet when he first gets “The Call.”

This makes some sense, thanks for the explanation.

• Upvote 1

Per Roch:

Dean Kremer worked 2 1/3 innings yesterday in an alternate site game against the Nationals in Bowie and allowed two runs and five hits with two walks and three strikeouts in an 11-5 win. He threw 58 pitches.

Kremer is eligible to return to the active roster on Wednesday.

Conner Greene retired all six batters with four strikeouts. Cody Carroll and Evan Phillips each has a scoreless innings.

Austin Wynns hit another home run. Stevie Wilkerson had a double and triple, Ryan Ripken doubled twice and Rylan Bannon singled twice. Yusniel Diaz and Richie Martin were 1-for-4 with a double. Jahmai Jones was 1-for-3 and Brett Cumberland was 1-for-2 with a double and two walks.