GIDP

Three Run Homer

Another GIDP for Trey Mancini today.  He now leads MLB with 5.  Rio Ruiz is the only other Oriole to ground into a double play this year, and he has only one.

In case you are wondering, the all time record for GIDP in a season is 36, by Jim Rice in 1984.  Trey is on pace to have 62 GIDP this season.  Trey shares a lot of characteristics with most of the single-season GIDP leaders--right handed, slower than average, good hitter overall, hits the ball hard.  Cal Ripken is in the top 10, with 28 in 1996. 

After another one today, I too had the feeling it was "a lot" and checked he had the MLB lead with 4 even before the 5th.

Entering the year I had been neutral on how Trey/Santander/RMC should fill 2/3/4 most days, but I think I'm getting to liking Trey at cleanup to at least keep that monster away from the 1st inning.

Encouraging overall though to see him hitting it out to center and center/right.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

After another one today, I too had the feeling it was "a lot" and checked he had the MLB lead with 4 even before the 5th.

Entering the year I had been neutral on how Trey/Santander/RMC should fill 2/3/4 most days, but I think I'm getting to liking Trey at cleanup to at least keep that monster away from the 1st inning.

Encouraging overall though to see him hitting it out to center and center/right.

But Trey tends to hit well in the 1st inning, both in previous years and even this year (2 first inning home runs out of his 3 total). Not guaranteed to bat in the 1st when he's batting cleanup.

Edited by rm5678

1 minute ago, rm5678 said:

Not sure, but I do remember in 2019 that he consistently hit better in the 1st inning as compared to any other inning.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mancitr01&year=2019&t=b

1.  1.044
  2.  .979
  3. 1.034
  4.  .916
  5. .724
  6. .636
  7. .736
  8. .996
  9. .931

Yea, it was highest in the first but I'm not seeing a statistically significant difference.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mancitr01&year=2019&t=b

1.  1.044
  2.  .979
  3. 1.034
  4.  .916
  5. .724
  6. .636
  7. .736
  8. .996
  9. .931

Yea, it was highest in the first but I'm not seeing a statistically significant difference.

I can’t be the only one who saw a list like this and could hear Bordick reading off each of these numbers in succession despite them being shown on the screen. Mike Bordick, eternal friend of the visually impaired. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Another GIDP for Trey Mancini today.  He now leads MLB with 5.  Rio Ruiz is the only other Oriole to ground into a double play this year, and he has only one.

In case you are wondering, the all time record for GIDP in a season is 36, by Jim Rice in 1984.  Trey is on pace to have 62 GIDP this season.  Trey shares a lot of characteristics with most of the single-season GIDP leaders--right handed, slower than average, good hitter overall, hits the ball hard.  Cal Ripken is in the top 10, with 28 in 1996. 

Cal is (check my memory...) like top-3 all-time? Longevity and ABs is a large part of that... but Cal was S ... L ... O ... W ........... ?

Who has the ML record for pitching LOSSES?

Cy Young.