MLB.com: This 1 pitch (is it 1?) makes César Valdez elite

Tony-OH

32 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

There is varying research in the area of pitch type and stress on the arm/elbow. Here is an article from Driveline that discusses it. Overall, velocity plays a bigger role than pitch type. I don't think the article explains it but I assume it's because the arm speed (stress) is similar in each pitch type. Most kids I get (out of HS) don't throw a legit change up and it is stressful on their arms to learn it due to the early pronation. Once they figure it out though, the stress does lessen. So, what I am saying is the dead fish may or may not produce less stress on his arm than that of the average MLB pitcher. Also, is there any idea how many pitches are on the arm from the DR or Mexico? He may have had a heavy load. 

Good post. I was actually thinking that myself though I did say he's a young 36 earlier. The good news is he's seemed to be healthy for awhile now and seems to bounce back pretty well and can be stretched out a bit, all of which tend to be skills of pitchers that tend to stay healthy longer in their careers. 

I still wouldn't move him unless blown away this year, but starting next year, if he's continuing to dominate, then the Orioles should consider what they could get. He could help a contender right now no doubt, but i do worry when a pitch starts to get into the upper 30s of when they will break.

We needed a few feel-good moments to carry us through this year, and along with Mullins, Means and the return of Mancini, Valdez is definitely one of them. I don’t know if his stuff will hold up for another month let alone the next three or five months, but in this age of bigger/faster/stronger baseball, even the most cynical of hearts has to admit it’s a fascinating story. 

• Upvote 1