20 Under the Radar guys to pay attention to at the start of the season

Tony-OH

This is going to be one of the more interesting years to see where guys start off and how they produce after losing an entire year last year. With very little ability to get information out of Sarasota this year, we don't know much about who showed up looking different ten in years past and who will be able to perform after basically losing a year of competitive play. 

While it's obvious that the top 30 prospects are guys you should look for as the minor league season get started, here are some under the radar guys to keep an eye on too. I'm going to keep these to guys who should break camp with full season clubs so I won't go into the Dominican Summer League guys.

1. Lamar Sparks - OF : Sparks has always been a guy with some tools but has struggled to stay healthy and to find success on the field when he has played. He's 22-years old this year so hopefully he will break camp with Delmarva but if not, it may be a sign that his potential has eroded.

2. Jake Zebron - SP : Zebron was a guy on the tail end of our 2019 Prospect list but fell off due to the new drafts picks and trades. He showed flashes in the GCL League but didn't have much endurance. He's 21 years old now and it would be nice to see that he pitched well enough to be a starter in Delmarva this year but he'll have a lot of competition.

3. Yeancarlos Lleras - P : A hard throwing but raw righthander taken in the 6th round on 2018, it will be interesting to see what he looks like this year. Actually pitched a bit in relief in the Puerto Rican Winter League this year. It's a good sign if he's pitching in Delmarva this year.

4. Joey Ortiz - SS : Reportedly put on 20 pounds and is hitting the ball with authority this spring. Defense was his calling card but if his bat perks up, he could become a top 30 prospect this year.

5. Toby Welk - 3B : Impressed everyone with his ability to barrel the ball often in games and tore up the New York Penn League. Will play at 24 years old so could get pushed to Aberdeen this year. While he showed some athleticism at 3B, he could be tried out at 2B or 1B but hs bat will be his calling card.

6. Zach Watson - OF : A 2019 3rd round draft pick who was pushed to Delmarva quickly, Watson has some tools to work from and could be pushed to Aberdeen due to the fact he will play most of the year at 24. There's a little pop in this bat and can play CF.

7. Jaylen Ferguson - OF: Talented toolsy outfielder who started to hit a bit in 2019, it will be interesting to see where he starts and if he's given everyday PAs. Don't sleep on him, he has some raw tools that have taken awhile to come out but will be guy to keep a close watch on in 2021.

8. Leonardo Rodriguez - SP: Tall right-hander who flashed a plus fastball and slider and feel for the change at Aberdeen in 2019. Should be pitching in an extended role with Delmarva and will be interesting to watch.

9. Dallas Litscher - P: Was starting to show some signs of becoming a prospect with a nice fastball-curveball combination. At 25 years old now, he's a guy that was really hurt by the layoff. Might be better suited in a bullpen roll but it will be interesting to see where he's pitching at the start of the year. Most likely needs to be at Aberdeen and pitching well to become a prospect.

10. Dan Hammer - SP: 13th round draft pick in 2019 really was impressive in Aberdeen. Maybe not a ton of upside here but an interesting arm to follow.

11. Griffin McLarty - SP: This was Luke's guy and he argued to put him on our 2019 prospect list. I'll be honest, I've never seen him pitch but he had some succes and showed a solid thre-pitch mix according to Luke back in 2019.

12. Johnny Rizer - OF: 7th Round pick who was signed to save some cash for overslots, all Rizer did was hit wherever he played. Not a ton of upside with power or speed but a good hit tool and reportedly a solid defender.

13. Grey Fenter - SP: Drafted in the Rule 5 draft by the Cubs for a look, Fenter was returned but it shows his potential. Fenter will pitch at 25 this year so he needs to get a moving a move to the bullpen might enhance his fastball-curveball combo.

14. Zach Peek - SP: Acquired in the Bundy trade, this 6th round pick has reportedly picked up velocity into the 92-94 range and makes him very interesting.

15. Garrett Stallings - SP: Acquired in the Iglesias trade, a 5th round selection, Stallings was the highest of the three Angels2019 draft picks Elias acquired. Hasn't pitched professionally but was coming a nice career at the University of Tennessee where he put up a 6.63 K to walk ration his Junior year.

16. AJ Graffanino - SS: Slick fielding shortstop who may be the best defensive SS in the system if his scouting reports are right. He missed all but one game in 2019 with an "undiagnosed gastrointestinal issue" so hasn't played in almost two years. Acquired in the Tommy Milone trade.

17. Greg Cullen - 2B: Also acquired in the Tommy Milone trade, the left handed hitting second baseman is known more for his stick than his fielding. 

18. Davis Tavarez - OF: Hit pretty well in the GCL League in 2019 at 20-years old. Probably needs to make Delmarva and have a good season to get on the prospect scene.

19. Blaine Knight - SP: Had a horrendous 2019 that saw his prospect status take a tumble, but there is talent in that arm and may be better suited in a relief role.

20. Felix Bautista - RP: Can run it up to 100 MPH. Bautista has the arm to make a big jump, but command has always been his issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2