Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That's exactly the issue with building around a RH DH/1B. You take up that spot and then you have zero flexibility to move people around. I just don't see how we keep Mancini. It's bad enough that we have DJ Stewart playing in the outfield. 

I think folks worry way too much about DJ Stewart playing outfield on a team built to lose.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Front-of-the-sports-page article in today's Sun "Rutcshman stays put as others move up".

By Meoli.

Matt Blood:  "This is his first full professional season in baseball.  We're still seeing growth occur where he is in his game.  I think once we feel like he's no longer benefiting from being in Bowie, then we'll move.  That's really what it's about - we see him still developing his consistency of his game in Bowie in a way that we think is more productive in Bowie at this point.  When that stops being the case, then we'll move him".

Meoli:  Rutschman's timeline seems deliberate for a reason.  He played at 3 levels in 2019 after he was drafted and was at the team's secondary camp at Bowie last summer working on his swing nad developing a rapport with some of the pitchers he'll work with once he reaches hte majors.  But this time at AA was meant to be his full -seaosn introduction to professional baseball.  He's played every game he's been available for Bowie, only missing two for the Future's Game".

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

Front-of-the-sports-page article in today's Sun "Rutcshman stays put as others move up".

By Meoli.

Matt Blood:  "This is his first full professional season in baseball.  We're still seeing growth occur where he is in his game.  I think once we feel like he's no longer benefiting from being in Bowie, then we'll move.  That's really what it's about - we see him still developing his consistency of his game in Bowie in a way that we think is more productive in Bowie at this point.  When that stops being the case, then we'll move him".

Meoli:  Rutschman's timeline seems deliberate for a reason.  He played at 3 levels in 2019 after he was drafted and was at the team's secondary camp at Bowie last summer working on his swing nad developing a rapport with some of the pitchers he'll work with once he reaches hte majors.  But this time at AA was meant to be his full -seaosn introduction to professional baseball.  He's played every game he's been available for Bowie, only missing two for the Future's Game".

All clearly BS. They just want an excuse to start him at AAA next season to manipulate his service clock. And if the new CBA changes service time manipulation, no big deal. They're freerolling on the chance at saving money.

8 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

All clearly BS. They just want an excuse to start him at AAA next season to manipulate his service clock. And if the new CBA changes service time manipulation, no big deal. They're freerolling on the chance at saving money.

Lots of players finish one season at AAA and begin the next still at AAA.    I don’t think they need to avoid sending Rutschman to AAA at this point in order to plausibly assign him there to start 2022.

That said, I do think they’re doing their best to build a record that they kept him down for developmental reasons.  

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lots of players finish one season at AAA and begin the next still at AAA.    I don’t think they need to avoid sending Rutschman to AAA at this point in order to plausibly assign him there to start 2022.

That said, I do think they’re doing their best to build a record that they kept him down for developmental reasons.  

They are going to keep him down long enough to make sure the service time works out correctly.  While he is playing well, honestly he isn't playing so well that he should be upset if they don't promote him or he doesn't start the season with the club next year.  For comparison, Kris Bryant had a combined OPS of 1.098 between AA and AAA with 43 homers the year before everyone said he should have started the in the big leagues and they sent him to AAA.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

13 of Adley’s 18 homers appear on video in this thread.   Not one of them drew a jump by the outfielder.   On many, the outfielder never moved, just turned around and watched it fly.   

Like Stowers, he swing so hard that when he does hit the ball, he typically hits it hard. With the upper cut in his swing, when he gets the ball airborne it tends to go far. 

47 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Fastball inside, maybe even off the plate inside, and Rutschman still gets around on it and hits the pitch a mile. 

I will say watching him this year, he looks quicker and more comfortable from the right side of the plate, which is strange for a switch hitter.