Terrin Vavra 2021

ArtVanDelay

I feel like Vavra/Jones are twins being groomed for the Enrique Hernandez/Chris Taylor 10th/11th guy job.

I hope we do even better at SS next year, but if we did other stuff I suppose I could live with Chris Taylor tiring of being a Swiss army knife and coming East to see if his talents can scale to 600+ PA.

Enrique's starting to look a little bit winded though.

• 2 weeks later...

BP Paternostro, generally reinforcing my guess he and Jahmai Jones perhaps become the 10th and 11th guys covering basically every position on the field except C/SS (and maybe SS too, if Hyde feels lucky any given night).   I'm hopeful one/both can earn some near everyday reps late this year/early next.  

TERRIN VAVRA, 2B, BALTIMORE ORIOLES (DOUBLE-A BOWIE)

Vavra (along with Tyler Nevin, and intriguing 2018 IFA Mishael Deson) was the return for one season and one month of Mychal Givens. Vavra on his own makes that a good deal, although he’s not the most upside-laden prospect you’ll find in the Orioles system.

The positional flexibility should make Vavra a useful three-or-four-day a week starter, and it’s not impossible the OBP holds up enough to make him an average everyday guy at second base, et.al. —Jeffrey Paternostro

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, ChuckS said:

Any update on this guy? Out five weeks now with a lower back strain. 

I heard he's had a reoccurrence of the back problems while down in Sarasota and his return this year is questionable. Hopefully it's something he can get over without surgery and be back this year. Its bad timing because he was really looking like a potential 2B option sometime in 2022. That probably backs up now.

The other thing is he had stress fractures early in his college career so hopefully it's not related to this. Back problems are not something that tend to get better with age.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I heard he's had a reoccurrence of the back problems while down in Sarasota and his return this year is questionable. Hopefully it's something he can get over without surgery and be back this year. Its bad timing because he was really looking like a potential 2B option sometime in 2022. That probably backs up now.

The other thing is he had stress fractures early in his college career so hopefully it's not related to this. Back problems are not something that tend to get better with age.

That’s a shame to see. He looked great early in the season, so I’m guessing it contributed to his decline before going on the IL. Hopefully he can get this resolved and it doesn’t continue to dog him over the years. 

We had a ton of infield depth in the minors at the start of the year.   It’s been a shame to see Vavra, Ortiz and Servideo all on the shelf.   More at bats for Westburg, Hall, Jones and Gunnar, at least, so it’s not all bad.   Assuming all these guys are back next year, and adding Norby to the mix, we’ll have MI coming out of our ears.   It’s painful to watch the Orioles at 2B this year, but that shouldn’t be a long term problem.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

That's certainly encouraging. If all goes well, does he go back to Bowie or take a chance and send him to Norfolk? Oops. Didn't read the previous post carefully.

I would bet on him finishing the season in Bowie and starting 2022 in Norfolk.