Robert Neustrom 2021

Hazmat

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean, the A’s carried Herb Washington for a full season and month into a second season, and he never once had an at bat.   So, yeah, in that environment you could carry an Adam Hall, whose a better base stealer than Washington ever was. 

You are probably correct but we are comparing a baseball player against A ball catchers and a track star against ML pitchers and catchers.   Also, Herb never had the element of surprise or waiting for the right count to run on.   He was in the game for one reason and everyone knew what that reason was.   It looks like Herb got into 105 games without ever getting an AB.   He attempted 48 steals and was successful 31 times.   I wonder how Hall would do under those circumstances.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are probably correct but we are comparing a baseball player against A ball catchers and a track star against ML pitchers and catchers.   Also, Herb never had the element of surprise or waiting for the right count to run on.   He was in the game for one reason and everyone knew what that reason was.   It looks like Herb got into 105 games without ever getting an AB.   He attempted 48 steals and was successful 31 times.   I wonder how Hall would do under those circumstances.

Very fair points.   My memory of Washington was that he wasn’t very adept at getting a good lead or reading pitchers’ moves, which is hardly surprising.  Hence his success rate on steals was just so-so despite his blinding speed.   I looked at BB-ref to see how often he’d been picked off and other baserunning data, but that data doesn’t go back that far.   

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, seak05 said:

Another HR last night, would love to see what he can do at ML level, especially if he can play better defense then Santander 

Gotta think a Neustrom promotion would put DJ Stewart on the chopping block rather than Santander. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Seems like this guy is showing signs he can hit both AA and AAA pitching.   Is he a future piece of the puzzle?   

He's putting himself in position to make the OD roster with a nice Spring.  I see him as a 400 at bat a season kind of guy mostly playing against RH pitching. 

Stowers and Rizer are not far behind him.  I can see both being in the picture come mid-season.  Hays and Santander will need to get their act together. 

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He's putting himself in position to make the OD roster with a nice Spring.  I see him as a 400 at bat a season kind of guy mostly playing against RH pitching. 

Stowers and Rizer are not far behind him.  I can see both being in the picture come mid-season.  Hays and Santander will need to get their act together. 

Oh wow, yeah he has pretty pronounced splits.

So far this year his OPS is .930 against RHP but only a paltry .585 against lefties.  (99 PA)

So I guess he is a future piece in the sense that he could be a platoon guy.

It is getting to the point of having guys at AAA who are ready for the majors and guys pushing them from behind for time at AAA.   I suspect Hays and Santander get time to increase value/hold onto job next spring, with Mckenna likely factoring in as well, with Neustrom, Stowers, Watson, Diaz all at Norfolk competing for the next opportunity.   

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

That's what I thought. Definitely don't want to lose him. DJ Stewart has to be on notice. I assume Neustrom would be an upgrade defensively even if he doesn't hit as many HR's. 10% walk rate, yes, please. 

I suspect DJ Stewart is DFA'd after the season if not before the season ends.