Yusniel Diaz 2021

Tony-OH

• 2 weeks later...

Diaz is having an absolutely dreadful season and IMO has basically fallen off the prospect radar at (nearly) age 25 until further notice.

.187/.257/.314/.570 in 113 PA. 

This is why you want to see guys play well for an extended period of time in the minors. Folks were clamoring for him to be called up last year and in 2019. It's looking like a savvy choice to leave him in the minors until he proves he can actually put together a good season. Even Stewart was crushing AAA and he's basically a glorified pinch hitter in the bigs. 

• Upvote 1

Diaz has fallen down the prospect lists for a couple years, but I wasn't expecting him to go into complete oblivion. Thankfully, this is softened a bit by Mullins breakout. I was counting on Diaz to be a serviceable OF and that's not looking likely. Meanwhile, I was counting on Mullins to be a 4th OF and he's proven to be more. So, I'll call that a wash, but it still leaves pressure on Hays and Santander at least until the next round of OF are ready given Stewart and McKenna don't look like they can be much more than role players at the best.  

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

What?  It's well known that this is a painful injury. https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/turf-toe-symptoms-causes-and-treatments#1

1 hour ago, George Zuverink said:

Yeah, like this guy had no heart, "In 2007 Jonathan Ogden suffered a severe case of it and ended his career with the Ravens the next year."

specifically for Diaz.  Guy got no heart.  Got paid and checked out.