Kyle Brnovich 2021

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I watched his start yesterday though the Bowie behind Homeplate and to the right look is not great overall, it does give you some perspective of stuff. He's been 90-92 most of this year and he gets a decent amount of whiff up in the zone despite the mediocre velocity. He works it well around the zone and has good command of the pitch. 

His slider/knuckle curve thing is his go to pitch and it was very much on for the most part yesterday. It has late, sharp bite and he's able to bury it under left-handers hands for whiff while also getting right-handers to chase.

I didn't see a lot of change ups but he did throw a couple getting whiff once and few foul balls. I would have liked to see Rutschman call a bit more changeups but his slider/knuckle curve was so good yesterday I guess it was too hard to go away from.

Overall it's hard not to like what we've seen so far. He has better command than Bradish but we need to see how he spins that major league ball before getting too excited. He may end up best of the pitchers we got from the Angels in the Bundy, especially since Bradish has a reliever vibe to me.

Agree with you on that one.   Bradish sounds like closer material though.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I watched his start yesterday though the Bowie behind Homeplate and to the right look is not great overall, it does give you some perspective of stuff. He's been 90-92 most of this year and he gets a decent amount of whiff up in the zone despite the mediocre velocity. He works it well around the zone and has good command of the pitch. 

His slider/knuckle curve thing is his go to pitch and it was very much on for the most part yesterday. It has late, sharp bite and he's able to bury it under left-handers hands for whiff while also getting right-handers to chase.

I didn't see a lot of change ups but he did throw a couple getting whiff once and few foul balls. I would have liked to see Rutschman call a bit more changeups but his slider/knuckle curve was so good yesterday I guess it was too hard to go away from.

Overall it's hard not to like what we've seen so far. He has better command than Bradish but we need to see how he spins that major league ball before getting too excited. He may end up best of the pitchers we got from the Angels in the Bundy, especially since Bradish has a reliever vibe to me.

Honestly, if we get a back end starter and solid reliever out of the Bundy deal, I can't be too mad at that. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

OK, so it’s technically 2022, but here’s a few comments from Josh Conway, who was our Hi A pitching coach last year:

“He’s just like Stallings,” Conway said. “He knows how to attack the zone, uses a three-pitch mix there. He has a really, really sharp breaking ball that he loves. Sometimes, he loves it a little too much, but he did a really good job of figuring out how to use the changeup this season to lefties especially. But he also used it to right-handed hitters, which was really nice to see, and get those guys off balance to open up the curveball to be in play.

“He’s one of those guys who can use the top of the zone with his fastball and locate really well as needed. And again, likes to pound the zone, likes to be ahead of guys, and figures out a way to put them away, which is awesome.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/01/conway-on-stallings-peek-and-brnovich.html

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

OK, so it’s technically 2022, but here’s a few comments from Josh Conway, who was our Hi A pitching coach last year:

“He’s just like Stallings,” Conway said. “He knows how to attack the zone, uses a three-pitch mix there. He has a really, really sharp breaking ball that he loves. Sometimes, he loves it a little too much, but he did a really good job of figuring out how to use the changeup this season to lefties especially. But he also used it to right-handed hitters, which was really nice to see, and get those guys off balance to open up the curveball to be in play.

“He’s one of those guys who can use the top of the zone with his fastball and locate really well as needed. And again, likes to pound the zone, likes to be ahead of guys, and figures out a way to put them away, which is awesome.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/01/conway-on-stallings-peek-and-brnovich.html

Hopefully, he's going to the same place as Peek and maybe he can turn his 90-92 mph fastball into a 92-95 mph fastball.   The below average fastball sounds like what's holding him back from being looked on a little more favorably among the scout types.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hopefully, he's going to the same place as Peek and maybe he can turn his 90-92 mph fastball into a 92-95 mph fastball.   The below average fastball sounds like what's holding him back from being looked on a little more favorably among the scout types.

Speaking of Peek, of all the under the radar type guys, he may be #1 on my list as someone to watch this year.

I feel he has some high upside as a back end BP arm.  (I know they will keep starting for now)