Means scratched from Sundays start vs Yankees

Natty

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

By the way, if I thought we were going to actually win something this year I'd be willing to ride Means into the ground like a rented donkey.

But we're not, so what's the point?

I respect following the proper process.

If there isn't clear evidence supporting limiting his innings I'd rather they didn't.

8 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

At what point do you stop trading valuable players? Means is likely our best pitcher since Mussina. 

You never stop trading valuable players when you are a team that doesn’t have an endless supply of money.

And even then, you should always look to deal players when the situation calls for it.

• Upvote 1

In the 1970's 80's 90's

pitchers routinely pitched 250-300 innings in a season

I've never actually seen a study that there were more injuries in those days

Who to day compares to a Palmer, Seaver, Gibson, Gaylord Perry, etc for health and durability

Maybe the modern way is all wrong??

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I expect that Elias and Sig have read and reviewed every bit of data there is on this subject, and probably developed some of their own.    I seriously doubt they are just putting their finger in the wind.   Nevertheless, the fact that Means was announced as Sunday’s starter and then pulled, then pushed to Wednesday, suggests there’s something specific going on with Means here.

I agree....I think the next announcement could well be an MRI. 

If we are saying that when a young, robust Pitcher pitches a complete game, there is maybe too much risk to the  remainder of his career, then  that is not the game of baseball I grew up with in the 50s, and love to this day.  Makes a person wonder how the old timers ever lasted a month without pitch count, extra days off if they pitch an unusual number of innings,  or any of the other modern day things done to protect his arm.  I see no evidence that all these things are working, as there are as many or more injuries now than then.    

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You never stop trading valuable players when you are a team that doesn’t have an endless supply of money.

And even then, you should always look to deal players when the situation calls for it.

Works and works and works for TB.

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

If we are saying that when a young, robust Pitcher pitches a complete game, there is maybe too much risk to the  remainder of his career, then  that is not the game of baseball I grew up with in the 50s, and love to this day.  Makes a person wonder how the old timers ever lasted a month without pitch count, extra days off if they pitch an unusual number of innings,  or any of the other modern day things done to protect his arm.  I see no evidence that all these things are working, as there are as many or more injuries now than then.    

Very few pitchers were throwing 93-94 mph in those days.  The harder you throw, the more stress there is on your body.    It’s pretty simple physics.  

We're a step closer this week, but this kind of scenario is also a time want of the beat reporters being in the clubhouse to get a quote is felt.    I'm sure Means himself is savvy enough to not really say anything the team doesn't want him to say, but the player's opinion on this kind of move (same thing happening with Walker Buehler and Shohei Ohtani about a month in) could give a little context.

I guess Means hasn't digested from Harvey yet how to insist you keep your spot on the bump.   Of course when Harvey was telling his manager he wasn't coming out of a WS game, Means was midway through A ball, and the ground has moved a lot beneath them both since then.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:04 AM, Sports Guy said:

I came here to comment on today’s starter, but saw your comment and had to agree with it. This is also why we don’t sign players to extensions. You trade a guy at peak value, restock the pipeline, and call up the next guy..

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

I came here to comment on today’s starter, but saw your comment and had to agree with it. This is also why we don’t sign players to extensions. You trade a guy at peak value, restock the pipeline, and call up the next guy..

That's one thing TB has done a couple times. Signed a couple young guys to long term deals. Like first ARB year young. TB gets a sweetheart deal for a possible stud, player gets more $$$ than he ever dreamed of. If he doesn't pan out it's not the blood bath of a Chris Davis deal. Works out for both sides.