Michael Baumann 2021

Just Regular

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He should be.

I think he will be too, if results and health hold together a few more weeks.    Means, Kremer, Akin, Zimmermann - seems to be a move Elias likes, and I believe his quotes about everybody on the 40-man helping the team to 1450.

Lots of guys not on the 40-man for that job too.

6 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Norfolk's season goes into September this year, so he might as well stay down there if he's walking guys and he is. 

The guy's gonna turn 26 on September 10th, and he should be in MLB by then.  Teams rarely wait till a good prospect is 26 to promote him to the Majors.  I realize Covid hurt the progression, but it's time to start seeing what we've got with him.  

32 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The guy's gonna turn 26 on September 10th, and he should be in MLB by then.  Teams rarely wait till a good prospect is 26 to promote him to the Majors.  I realize Covid hurt the progression, but it's time to start seeing what we've got with him.  

It’s OK with me if it makes sense from a roster management standpoint.   I’m not concerned about gaining control of his age 32 season.   I’d love to have a pitcher succeed to the point where his age 32 season was actually valuable.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:
40 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It’s OK with me if it makes sense from a roster management standpoint.   I’m not concerned about gaining control of his age 32 season.   I’d love to have a pitcher succeed to the point where his age 32 season was actually valuable.  

I agree, he's worth bringing up to see what we have in pitching inventory. He's 26 this year - almost reaching that non prospect age.

28 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I agree, he's worth bringing up to see what we have in pitching inventory. He's 26 this year - almost reaching that non prospect age.

I think for the next couple of years, we need to adjust our expectation of what “prospect age” is.   In 2019, the median age for a major league debut was 24 years, 287 days.   This year it’s 25 years, 185 days.   In my view, that’s predominantly due to the loss of development time during the pandemic.   And I think it will take a couple of years before the impacted players are through the system.   

Looking at Baumann, he hasn’t really been slow played.  His first full year (2018), we jumped him from Delmarva to Frederick.  The next year, he started at a Frederick but jumped to Bowie.  In 2020, he pitched at the alternate site but got shut down due to a sore elbow.   Then this year, he wasn’t ready to start spring training on time and when he finally was ready they started him at Bowie, performing inconsistently for his first 6 starts but shining in the next 4, when they promoted him.  So if you look at his whole track record, it’s 7 starts in low A, 28 in hi A, 21 in AA, 5 in AAA.   That’s a fairly normal progression, recalling that he was good not great in his two hi stints that were the equivalent of one full season (3.88/3.83 ERA).   

So, it’s kind of surprising to see that he’s about to turn 26, but that’s what the lost year does.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think for the next couple of years, we need to adjust our expectation of what “prospect age” is.   In 2019, the median age for a major league debut was 24 years, 287 days.   This year it’s 25 years, 185 days.   In my view, that’s predominantly due to the loss of development time during the pandemic.   And I think it will take a couple of years before the impacted players are through the system.   

Looking at Baumann, he hasn’t really been slow played.  His first full year (2018), we jumped him from Delmarva to Frederick.  The next year, he started at a Frederick but jumped to Bowie.  In 2020, he pitched at the alternate site but got shut down due to a sore elbow.   Then this year, he wasn’t ready to start spring training on time and when he finally was ready they started him at Bowie, performing inconsistently for his first 6 starts but shining in the next 4, when they promoted him.  So if you look at his whole track record, it’s 7 starts in low A, 28 in hi A, 21 in AA, 5 in AAA.   That’s a fairly normal progression, recalling that he was good not great in his two hi stints that were the equivalent of one full season (3.88/3.83 ERA).   

So, it’s kind of surprising to see that he’s about to turn 26, but that’s what the lost year does.   

The average age might change significantly dependent upon the next CBA.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’d assume in any event it will trend back down.   Just as a reminder, the median age has never been below 23.5 in the last 70 years, which includes times before the draft and free agency even existed.  So I don’t think the CBA will have a drastic impact, but of course we will see what the terms are.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d assume in any event it will trend back down.   Just as a reminder, the median age has never been below 23.5 in the last 70 years, which includes times before the draft and free agency even existed.  So I don’t think the CBA will have a drastic impact, but of course we will see what the terms are.

I don't think we will see a drastic change in the next CBA.  Baseball doesn't like sudden movements.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

As a reminder? Lol. Who knows that?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think we will see a drastic change in the next CBA.  Baseball doesn't like sudden movements.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

These seem pretty incongruous.