Plutko

NelsonCruuuuuz

The Orioles do some real dumb stuff at times. Plutko was lights out in his role but they had to get cute and push the envelope & start him. I said when they did it that it was dumb: don’t fix what isn’t broken. That messes with pitchers.

If he were a former first rounder, I’d say, sure! But dude has been underwhelming even in the minors. I just don’t get it. Just dumb decision making. 

Now he will probably be awful for 2 months. Maddening.

End rant.

7 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

The Orioles do some real dumb stuff at times. Plutko was lights out in his role but they had to get cute and push the envelope & start him. I said when they did it that it was dumb: don’t fix what isn’t broken. That messes with pitchers.

If he were a former first rounder, I’d say, sure! But dude has been underwhelming even in the minors. I just don’t get it. Just dumb decision making. 

Now he will probably be awful for 2 months. Maddening.

End rant.

If he's awful, it will be because he's awful. Not because he was so fragile that he couldn't handle starting for one night.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

So him starting one game messed up today’s relief appearance?   Sorry, don’t buy it.  

C'mon, Frobby, get with the narrative.  All things have direct and obvious causes, almost always related to the Orioles making stupid mistakes.  A random pitcher pitches poorly, it's because the team had the gall to not keep him on an extremely tight routine and schedule.  The trouble in Palestine, directly related to poor decisions Duquette made in 2013.

This situation is clearly not because he's Adam Plutko and this was the 25th time in 67 MLB appearances he's allowed three or more runs. Anybody can see that last year he got shelled in a start on August 21st, then relieved and pitched four scoreless innings in his next appearance and I don't know why I'm still typing...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Drungo's in a mood this morning, ya'll.

He's not wrong. Swingman type of reliever should be used to work in a variety of situations. The overwhelming likelihood is that he isn't that good and is going to get hit every once in a while. 

• Upvote 2

It’s not like he went a bunch of innings when he “started”. It was essentially a relief appearance.  It’s why they call them openers and not starters.  

There is zero correlation to him starting and him sucking as of late.  He just isn’t that good to begin with.

4 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

The issue is overwork

Not for Plutko it’s not.  He was a starter until recently.  He can handle the innings load the team has given him.

Hes just not very good.  A dime a dozen middle/long reliever that will go through spells of being very good and spells of being very bad.  It’s just who he is and who he always has been.

Plutko career stats:

As a starter    5.27 ERA

As a reliever   3.58 ERA

Its not surprising that he is better as a reliever.  And name a pitcher that does not have a bad day every once in a while. Overall he is a good reliever.

• Upvote 1

Plutko has become very cutter heavy becoming mainly a cutter/fastball guy as he's only thrown 10 curveballs in his last nine outings and only 29 on the year. The cutter and fastball are similar speeds so when he misses in the middle of the plate, he gets hammered. His fastball has never been a very good pitch and most of the hits he's allowed this year were on fastballs, even fastballs in decent spots which tells me batters see it well.

The curveball is a high spin pitch that changes the eye levels and is a pitch with velocity about 14-15 mph slower than his fastball.

I tend to agree that Plutko was pitching above his capabilities early on, and why I preferred seeing him in the long 2-3 inning reliever role when the starter comes out early or only goes five innings. The problem is that the Orioles relievers as a whole are not very consistent so Hyde was running out of high leverage guys and started to use Plutko there. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Being a former starter doesn’t mean you can throw more innings out of the ‘pen effectively than a reliever who is not a former starter. Doesn’t work like that. 

It does mean that you can handle the innings and he has gone back and forth between starter and reliever in his big league career, so it’s not like this is a new experience for him.

He is just a mediocre pitcher.  No reason to invent other issues for him.  It’s just the reality of who he is.