Tyler Nevin up, Waddell optioned

Legend_Of_Joey

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I would really like to be a fly on the wall during a conversation between Mike and Brandon about the roster, it doesn’t take a good manager to know that the roster has problems, but I can’t imagine that Elias would be deliberately sabotaging the team. But as Sherlock Holmes said, “when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth.”

That doesn’t completely apply here, because it is impossible to define the impossible, but it remains a meaningful possibility.

Honestly, it’s probably not that far off. Elias having complete control of the roster makes the most sense. The goal is not this year but two years down the road. Brandon is there to facilitate the charade of a coach and season. All good, it’s nevin’s time to shine.

also, on a separate note, congrats to Grayson for his jump to AA. Hall, Grayson, and Adley will be the cornerstone of a 5 year window of opportunity at a ring.

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

I find it curious that a team with such a desperate need for pitching would send down a pitcher, Especially one that didn’t throw a single pitch, and leave in place a terribly struggling bat with no defensive value.

So now we have an extra bench guy and we are down one pitcher?

1) He pitched last night.

2) With Mancini and Mountcastle hurting, we don't have "an extra bench guy".

Waddell was going to go down in a couple of days when Harvey came off the IL, anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Philip said:

So this begs the question: Mountcastle isn’t really a LF and we have four outfielders who are better now anyway. If Nevin does well, what does that say about Mountcastles future?

Nothing.  Mountcastle has the potential to be one if the best hitters on the team the next few years.  If he comes close to that potential we will find a space for him regardless of Nevin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Nothing.  Mountcastle has the potential to be one if the best hitters on the team the next few years.  If he comes close to that potential we will find a space for him regardless of Nevin.

Once you trade Mancini you can put one of Mountcastle and Nevin at first and the other at DH.

If somehow Nevin ends up being an asset.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once you trade Mancini you can put one of Mountcastle and Nevin at first and the other at DH.

If somehow Nevin ends up being an asset.

Don’t worry, if Nevin goes 0-3 in his debut, I’ll start the “The Curious Case of: Tyler Nevin” thread.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ok, fair enough. And thanks for your other note, as well.

Mountcastle hasn’t shown much but I’m certainly willing to stick with him for now.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok, fair enough. And thanks for your other note, as well.

Mountcastle hasn’t shown much but I’m certainly willing to stick with him for now.

Look at his entire minor league career.  Look at last year at the major league level.  How can you say he hasn't "shown much"?  Are his 176 plate appearances this year that much more indicative than his 140 last year, or of his 2200 in the minors???

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2020/10/30/30-2020-prospect-tyler-nevin-1b-3b/

The most recent report isn’t wildly encouraging. He won’t supplant Mountcastle unless he sold his soul to someone.

A guy with an ok bat and questionable defense wherever he is in the field? Sounds like a cornerstone for Elias and company!

• Like 1

With the rain out and double header tomorrow, they might have kept Waddell at the stadium or stormed the plane to take him off and keep him as the extra guy for tomorrow.

Norfolk got crushed tonight, but Konnar Wade and Dusten Knight didn't pitch. Both have been excellent for the Tide (rare to say for a pitcher...)

Harvey started, so he isn't coming off the list tomorrow.

what you all don't know is if Moutcastle and/or Mancini may not be available tonight or for the next couple days.  If they are hurt but not bad enough for the DL, it makes sense to bring up another hitter for a couple days instead of  a pitcher and losing one or both for 10 days.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Look at his entire minor league career.  Look at last year at the major league level.  How can you say he hasn't "shown much"?  Are his 176 plate appearances this year that much more indicative than his 140 last year, or of his 2200 in the minors???

Well, since you asked, I checked.

He’s had, so far,  178 PA in 46 games, roughly comparable to his 140 in 35 games last season.
His walk rate is down, his K rate is up. His ISO has gone down from .169 to .120, where about .140 is league average. 
Last year he had a .396 BABIP. The league average BABIP was about .300, so he was quite lucky. Now it’s .304, about average, so he’s not unusually lucky.
Last year his WRC was 141, this year its 69. He’s better but still negative as a runner despite 3 SBs where last year he had none, and last year he was worth .07 FWAR and this year so far he’s worth minus -.08 fWAR in those 38 additional PAs.

So, yeah, he’s trending down, but I agree it’s only 140 ABs last season and 178 so far this season. But yeah, he hasn’t been good. At all.

im not suggesting anything drastic, but it might be worthwhile to send him down for a bit.