Grayson Rodriguez is now BA’s no. 1 pitching prospect

Frobby

6 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Bundy, Gausman, I think Arrieta and Matusz got that high as well 

Arthur Rhodes was ranked ahead of Mussina in 1991 as the #6 prospect in MLB. 

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/01/rutschman-four-other-os-reach-baseball-america-top-100.html

This is also the first time since the 2014 list was released and just the sixth time ever that the O’s have placed two players in the top 22.

1991 - Arthur Rhodes (6), Mike Mussina (19)
1993 - Brad Pennington (18), Jeffrey Hammonds (19)
2009 - Matt Wieters (1), Chris Tillman (22)
2012 - Dylan Bundy (10), Manny Machado (11)
2014 - Dylan Bundy (15), Kevin Gausman (20)

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/status/1401932962229362695

SG posted this in the Rodriguez thread on the minor league board yesterday, but it’s significant enough that I thought it warranted a thread over here.   

If Rodriguez has actually ascended to being the top pitching prospect in baseball, and Adley is no. 2 among position players, that’s pretty damned encouraging.   I just hope they live up to their billing!

Does anyone have the full list by chance? I would be curious to see it.

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I've been thinking about making a thread on here just for those that never venture to the minors section of the board.  

For those that don't follow it, our minor leaguers have gotten off to a pretty terrific start.  Just about all of our top prospects are healthy and performing very well.  When it's easier to list the disappointments (Yusniel Diaz can't stay on the field and the 2nd tier of pitchers in the Lowther/Wells/Kramer/Baumann etc group haven't been fantastic) than it is the standouts you know things are going well.  Obviously this is no guarantee of future MLB success but the future does look very bright.

This year I go there first.

• Upvote 1

Looks like there aren’t many on here who see a benefit to calling him up in late august/September so he can see what he needs to work on. Could be as a starter or out of the bullpen, for me. Just think it helps him and the club more than having him in 2029 would.

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Looks like there aren’t many on here who see a benefit to calling him up in late august/September so he can see what he needs to work on. Could be as a starter or out of the bullpen, for me. Just think it helps him and the club more than having him in 2029 would.

I'm curious as to if he has solved his no swing and miss offering against higher level bats issue he reportedly had last year.

Obviously he's have no trouble at all at the level he is at.

9 minutes ago, survivedc said:

You are assuming he will still be good and healthy in 2029.  That’s a big assumption with a pitcher.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm curious as to if he has solved his no swing and miss offering against higher level bats issue he reportedly had last year.

Obviously he's have no trouble at all at the level he is at.

Well, he has the best swingstr% in the minors, so I would think he is good there.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You are assuming he will still be good and healthy in 2029.  That’s a big assumption with a pitcher.

Well that’s part of my point. I’m not certain he will be healthy then. I want him pitching for the big club before the wear and tear really sets in. 
Further, I think there is a better chance for a competitive window between 2023 and 2026 than 2026-2029 and that his coming up towards the end of this year will make him better in 2023. Maybe marginally so.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gausman, Arrieta and Matusz never got that high.   Especially Arrieta.

Matusz got up to 5th ranked in 2010, only pitcher ranked better was Strasburg. https://www.mlb.com/news/2010-top-50-mlb-prospects-list-c301611480

I always though Arrieta got pretty high in the rankings? I guess the highest he got was 2009 at 36. https://www.mlb.com/news/2009-top-50-mlb-prospects-list-c301611616. Man we had 4 guys in the top 50 then.