Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

To be clear — 13 HR at Bowie.  He also hit 7 for Aberdeen.   So that’s a nice healthy 20.

Yup, and he's OPS'd a bit over .900 at both stops - pretty impressive.  At some point next year, his play could force the O's to promote him to Baltimore.

I feel bad for Watson - who's looking good at Bowie but a year older than Stowers and behind too many people to have much of a chance to get to the majors anytime soon.  Watson's a good all-around CFer - but probably not good enough that he's gonna force them to move him up.  And with Cowser and perhaps others probably coming up from behind him at some point, it's a tough situation.    

• Upvote 1

.916 OPS at Bowie now with 57 games played.    Pretty awesome.  He has to start at Norfolk in 2022 right?

Another fun fact.   Despite being a left handed hitter here are his splits in 2021 so far:

vs RHP .859     (303 PA)

vs LHP .987     (95 PA)

Santander better watch out next year...........

I guess Kyle could move to LF as well if everyone is hitting.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aglets said:

.916 OPS at Bowie now with 57 games played.    Pretty awesome.  He has to start at Norfolk in 2022 right?

Another fun fact.   Despite being a left handed hitter here are his splits in 2021 so far:

vs RHP .859     (303 PA)

vs LHP .987     (95 PA)

Santander better watch out next year...........

I guess Kyle could move to LF as well if everyone is hitting.

He surely goes to Norfolk.   His K rate still worries me but at least it didn’t increase when he went from hi A to AA.   It’s really his only wart, but it’s a big one.  

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He surely goes to Norfolk.   His K rate still worries me but at least it didn’t increase when he went from hi A to AA.   It’s really his only wart, but it’s a big one.  

A high K rate can still play if he maintains a good OBP.  His is currently .388 for 2021.   Obviously we probably shouldn't project that to follow exactly to MLB.   But there are guys that have higher than average K rates (looks like the average K% is 24% this year)  that are still very productive major leaguers.   Stowers is at 32 right now which I agree is a concern.   That is a bit higher than Mark Reynolds.  But less than Joey Gallo!!!    ;)

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

A high K rate can still play if he maintains a good OBP.  His is currently .388 for 2021.   Obviously we probably shouldn't project that to follow exactly to MLB.   But there are guys that have higher than average K rates (looks like the average K% is 24% this year)  that are still very productive major leaguers.   Stowers is at 32 right now which I agree is a concern.   That is a bit higher than Mark Reynolds.  But less than Joey Gallo!!!    ;)

I’m just worried that 32% in HiA/AA becomes 38-40% against major league pitching.   You don’t always see that big a jump in the majors (Gallo was 34.5% in the minors, 37.0% in the majors, for example), but sometimes you do.  

Stowers reminds me of Cody Bellinger. I think he will always be able to get on base and play solid D in the OF. The swing could present some contact issues and streaky hitting. Still, I think he's on the big league club next year which would be outstanding considering his first season. 

@JoeTrezz

Rival scout today named Stowers as a player who stood out in the Orioles system, telling me he “has a chance to be a better player than what the industry consensus appeared to be entering this year.”

Strower's almost 24 he should be in Norfolk by now IMO. He looks good but I would pump the brakes on the hype. He'll have to seriously produce in Norfolk for the O's to make an opening for him. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Strower's almost 24 he should be in Norfolk by now IMO. He looks good but I would pump the brakes on the hype. He'll have to seriously produce in Norfolk for the O's to make an opening for him. 

What hype?   He's a good prospect having a very good year.   He's 23 in AA.   That's pretty normal for a college player, especially considering the lost year.   He'll have to produce but "seriously produce"?     Is it that tough to crack the vaunted Orioles lineup?

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What hype?   He's a good prospect having a very good year.   He's 23 in AA.   That's pretty normal for a college player, especially considering the lost year.   He'll have to produce but "seriously produce"?     Is it that tough to crack the vaunted Orioles lineup?

I don't know about you but I want to see the 2nd coming of Griffey before I'm comfortable giving up DJ Stewart's roster spot.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I don't know about you but I want to see the 2nd coming of Griffey before I'm comfortable giving up DJ Stewart's roster spot.

Sure if all we're really talking about is the 4th OF spot I guess he has that ceiling. 

11 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I feel bad for Watson - who's looking good at Bowie but a year older than Stowers and behind too many people to have much of a chance to get to the majors anytime soon.  Watson's a good all-around CFer - but probably not good enough that he's gonna force them to move him up.  And with Cowser and perhaps others probably coming up from behind him at some point, it's a tough situation.    

Watson could help himself by taking a walk once in a while.  Currently he has 3 BB and 30 K in over 100 PA's in Bowie.  Whatever the organization has been telling Ryan Mountcastle about patience, they need to tell Watson too--he has power and speed and could become a good major league player if he incorporated better plate discipline.  

• Upvote 2