Sisco DFA’ed

Legend_Of_Joey

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You got a better theory?

It sure ain't because of ability.

He’s been fine in the context of league wide offense, particularly from the catcher position. He’s actually positive in rWAR (negative in fWAR right now). There’s a difference between the team not cutting every single player that’s not fully living up to expectations and somehow not understanding the concept of sunk costs. Let’s assume for a moment they aren’t immediately promoting AR - what does the team actually gain from releasing severino?

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I thought the Hosmer signing was worse than the Davis signing when it was signed.  Who wants to lock up a 1B man w/ 20 HR power?  Hosmer has aged better than Davis, though. 

First of all, I am not saying the signings were good but the Hosmer signing was similar to the Werth signing for DC.

Its an announcement to FAs, fans, the league and agents that they are ready to contend.  A lot of people may find that silly..hell, in some ways I do too.  That being said, it does send a message, a mighty expensive one but a message nonetheless.

And while Hosmer hasn’t been good and maybe they regret the deal in some ways, they are still one of the better teams in the league.  Hosmer started that.  

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He’s been fine in the context of league wide offense, particularly from the catcher position. He’s actually positive in rWAR (negative in fWAR right now). There’s a difference between the team not cutting every single player that’s not fully living up to expectations and somehow not understanding the concept of sunk costs. Let’s assume for a moment they aren’t immediately promoting AR - what does the team actually gain from releasing severino?

A superior receiver for their pitchers to throw to.

A happier Jim Palmer.

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

A better catcher? Severino is AWFUL. He LOOKS awful. He looks lazy, he looks like he doesn’t give a rats ass and will kick yours if you say something to him. Cut him. Bring up ANYBODY. Any catcher even if replacement level will not just be at worst a lateral move, it will be a sign that lazy and sloppy won’t be tolerated.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

A better catcher? Severino is AWFUL. He LOOKS awful. He looks lazy, he looks like he doesn’t give a rats ass and will kick yours if you say something to him. Cut him. Bring up ANYBODY. Any catcher even if replacement level will not just be at worst a lateral move, it will be a sign that lazy and sloppy won’t be tolerated.

I don't think the old eye test is sufficient justification for getting rid of guys. Pedro seems to me like a nice guy and a hard worker, not sure where you are getting lazy and irritable. Severino put up 2+ WAR the last couple years which isn't great but isn't bad either. I think he's earned the right to play at least til the trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think the old eye test is sufficient justification for getting rid of guys. Pedro seems to me like a nice guy and a hard worker, not sure where you are getting lazy and irritable. Severino put up 2+ WAR the last couple years which isn't great but isn't bad either. I think he's earned the right to play at least til the trade deadline.

Going by the old eye test I'm not sure where you are getting hard worker from.  Not this year at least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Fair enough, I think he’s barely competent at best, there was an article at Camden chat about catchers, and the author did not even use the word “defense” in his article. I was at the game in Texas a couple years ago, the extra inning affair the Rangers lost, when Severino threw a pick off to second base with nobody covering; he just threw the ball into centerfield, and that wasn’t the only time he’d done it. His defense isn’t just bad, It’s incompetent, and if you listen to nobody but Jim Palmer, and you subtract exactly half of the things he has said about Severino’s defense, it is still intolerable. I don’t care about a catcher who hits, although that’s a nice bonus. I want a catcher who defends, who does all the things a catcher is supposed to do. Severino doesn’t do any of them.

Make no mistake, I’m not suggesting that Austin Wynns is doing anything but warming a spot for now, But I would be delighted to get rid of Severino and replacing with an established defender behind the plate.

Edited by Philip
Typos

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

How about the fact he rarely gets down and slides in front of balls in the dirt to block them correctly? He reaches for a lot of balls when he should be blocking them, it’s literally the definition of a lazy catcher.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Philip said:

This is the main thing that ticks me off about Severino's play this year. Lack of effort and doesn't seem to care when he makes a bad play. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

How about the fact he rarely gets down and slides in front of balls in the dirt to block them correctly? He reaches for a lot of balls when he should be blocking them, it’s literally the definition of a lazy catcher.

I agree, he is not good at catching the ball. I just reject the eye test and "lazy" stuff. I have no idea what's going on in his head. Overall his numbers aren't bad when he hits, although he hasn't hit this year. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree, he is not good at catching the ball. I just reject the eye test and "lazy" stuff. I have no idea what's going on in his head. Overall his numbers aren't bad when he hits, although he hasn't hit this year. 

You agree he’s bad at catching the ball, but you refuse to call him lazy even though why he’s bad at catching the ball isn’t related to his ability to do so?

There are things anyone can do as a catcher to improve their defense. Not sliding with the pitch and dropping to your knees to block the ball suggests poor effort. Or, he’s lazy.

• Upvote 2

It is always amazing when you have guys that are seen as major hitting prospects coming up the farm system or even college.  They produce at every level in the minor leagues then they get to the majors and look like they have no idea how to hit.  Sisco seems to fit that bill along with others and even more higher ranked players.  The Brewers Keaton Hiura was seen by many as the best college bat in the draft when he was selected.  He then tore it up in the minors and every scout said his bat will give him an opportunity even though he doesn’t have a position.  However now that he has been up  at the majors he has trouble even putting the ball in play and has been sent down a few times.  He goes down rakes again so they bring him up again and he can’t even put the ball in play.  I think sometimes guys that are told they don’t have a real position or need to vastly improve their defense they work so hard in the off-season they don’t work on the other side and hit enough.  Then they go to spring training and they haven’t had the same at bats other guys may have gotten in the off season.

55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I disagree completely.  He is first in the league currently in the number of passed balls, and frankly quite a few of the pitches that have been scored as a 'wild pitch' should also have been considered a passed ball, but Severino managed to avoid even getting a glove on them, so they were considered WP instead of PB.  He looks like he's lazy, and he isn't doing anything to show he's trying to get better.  He's a VERY poor catcher behind the plate, and his bat isn't nearly good enough to offset the poor receiver skills.  Sisco isn't good by any stretch, but I'd have cut Severino before Sisco.  It's rare for me to really hate watching a player in an Os uniform, but I've gotten that way with Severino.  When I look at a lineup and see he is in it, I'm disgusted.  Almost as bad as it used to be to see Davis starting all the time.  If I was in charge, I'd cut Severino, bring up one of the kids (no, not AR yet) and let Wynns start.  I'm just sick of seeing Severino behind the plate...he's terrible.