Sisco DFA’ed

Legend_Of_Joey

49 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We all understand your argument. The quotes I shared were examples of straw man arguments you were attributing to myself or others. 

No I reject both your comments.

I used your own words to justify my comment, and I clarified that you were refuting something I did not say,  and the argument that you was made in defense of our catchers is a matter of record and not a straw man.

However, going around in circles is never productive, so I’m going to stop here. See you at the game.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't agree.

You are right, I should explain. There are some advantages to being up for a few weeks. The Norfolk season runs through September 19 right now. If they can make a playoff run, that would be more important to get that experience than to come be a part of the worst team in MLB. Elias has steadfastly said that he will not compromise the development of young players. 

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

You are right, I should explain. There are some advantages to being up for a few weeks. The Norfolk season runs through September 19 right now. If they can make a playoff run, that would be more important to get that experience than to come be a part of the worst team in MLB. Elias has steadfastly said that he will not compromise the development of young players. 

There are no playoffs in the minors this season.

1 hour ago, Robh21223 said:

Even if it's like the last 20 games of the year?

The way I understand service time manipulation is AR could be called up this September, but he would be need to be called up later in 2022 to get the extra year of service time.

Also with a potential lockout/strike on the horizon in 2022, the service rules on rookie contracts might be completely changed by next season. 

Service Time and What it Means for Top Prospects

Service time is simply the number of days that a player has spent on the active major league roster and it’s important as service time is used to determine when MLB players are eligible for arbitration as well as free agency. Starting in 2018, each Major League regular season now consists of 187 days (typically 183 days in previous years), and each day spent on the active roster or Major League disabled list earns a player one day of service time. Interestingly, a player is deemed to have reached “one year” of Major League service upon accruing 172 days in a given season which is obviously less than the 187 day MLB calendar. This comes into play as a Major League Baseball player is granted Free Agency once they have accrued 6 full years of service time at the major league level. That 6 years of service time is a threshold that they have to cross, so hypothetically a player could have finished their 6th MLB season but only have 5.168 years  (rolls over at 5.172) of service time and they would not be eligible for free agency yet. That would result in the organization retaining another year of team control on the player, and the player having to be on the active roster for another season before becoming eligible for free agency.

I understand DFA’ing Sisco, but what I don’t understand is how we couldn’t even get him consistent ABs in the majors this year.  

I’m also further puzzled why we didn’t try to get Dennis Santana from the Dodgers and see if we could do anything to get him right.  Again, another guy who probably just needs consistent innings and a chance.  

A Sisco for Santana swap would have been the perfect change of scenery play for both guys. 

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I understand DFA’ing Sisco, but what I don’t understand is how we couldn’t even get him consistent ABs in the majors this year.  

I’m also further puzzled why we didn’t try to get Dennis Santana from the Dodgers and see if we could do anything to get him right.  Again, another guy who probably just needs consistent innings and a chance.  

A Sisco for Santana swap would have been the perfect change of scenery play for both guys. 

They still have time to trade him. I’ve heard a few things here and there about reasons behind this, but haven’t been able to confirm anything yet.

13 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Hyde and/or Elias are still daydreaming about Severino's 3 HR game from 2019. 

On 6/19/2021 at 1:44 PM, spiritof66 said:

Thanks.

I think of the Padres as being built on more of an sort-of ad hoc basis, through trades and free agent signings more than high draft picks, all backed by a decision to loosen the purse strings the last couple of years. But that's just a vague impression. Since having no first-round draft pick in 2015, they have picked 8th/24th/5th (three picks), 3rd, 7th, 6th and 8th, and I don't see any of their first-round picks on the 25-man roster yet. (C.J. Abrams is in the system, and there are probably others.)

I will take a closer look when I get a chance.

https://eutawstreetreport.com/os-should-look-to-san-diego-for-rebuilding-blueprint/?fbclid=IwAR1J3PR7FUDbvlE5dx1t04C7FGDOGo8N_xjcwdTANbBJ0kcWhsYrawqhLbk

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 12:04 AM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They still have time to trade him. I’ve heard a few things here and there about reasons behind this, but haven’t been able to confirm anything yet.

Weak Bat, and very weak glove.

No place for him on the roster or in the minors.

Not a bad guy, just time to cut their loses.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Thanks. Pretty much consistent with my recollection, though I'd forgotten (or just missed) many of the specifics.

But my point is that, so far as I know, the Astros model of rebuilding has been pursued to completion only by the Astros. Are there any other examples? I don't think the Padres provide one. 

I raise the question partly out of curiosity, and partly because I think the huge differences between Houston and Baltimore, and between the team's situations, make it problematic to copy the Astros' approach.