2008 draft - fantasy prospects

I'm in a fantasy keeper league where we're drafting 2008 draft picks. So far the top guys have gone (Alvarez, G Beck, T Beck, Matusz, Hosmer, Posey, Smoak, Alonso, Skipworth, Hicks, Wallace). So that leads to the question, who else do you guys see as potential fantasy studs?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in a fantasy keeper league where we're drafting 2008 draft picks. So far the top guys have gone (Alvarez, G Beck, T Beck, Matusz, Hosmer, Posey, Smoak, Alonso, Skipworth, Hicks, Wallace). So that leads to the question, who else do you guys see as potential fantasy studs?

Brett Lawrie has one of the higher upsides as a hitter in this draft, but he's farther away - how long do you get to keep these guys?

Jason Castro should move quickly at catcher and offer .300+ avg with maybe 15-20 HR.

My favorite pitcher left is probably Brad Holt, with the Mets. He has a dominant fastball that he has excellent control of. The only problem on draft day was he didn't have much in the way of secondary pitches. Reports are that he's really solidified his slider and is throwing it much better now. He dominated in the NYP League this year.

Man - you're in an intense fantasy league if you're doing keepers and it's focus is on draft picks. How does one possibly manage their time in a manner to keep up with all that?

How long do you hold onto them? Some of those HS kids will take 4 years.

Without thinking too much, I'd add:

Friedrich (COL)

Kieschnick (SFN)

Decker (SDN)

Perry (DET)

Raben (SEA)

I'd be reluctant to call any of these guys "future studs", but here are a few more names to consider:

Charles Blackmon

Lonnie Chisenhall

David Cooper

Ike Davis

Alan Dykstra

Johnny Giavotella

Reese Havens

Casey Kelly

Daniel Schlereth

Jemile Weeks

They all have high upside, but questions, too.

Brett Lawrie has one of the higher upsides as a hitter in this draft, but he's farther away - how long do you get to keep these guys?

Jason Castro should move quickly at catcher and offer .300+ avg with maybe 15-20 HR.

My favorite pitcher left is probably Brad Holt, with the Mets. He has a dominant fastball that he has excellent control of. The only problem on draft day was he didn't have much in the way of secondary pitches. Reports are that he's really solidified his slider and is throwing it much better now. He dominated in the NYP League this year.

Castro just went and he was on my short list. Lawrie went 15th overall. I have the 27th pick (30 picks in 1st rd...yes there are 30 teams).

We keep the players as long as we wish. We have the rights to them until they are traded or dropped.

It's a very extensive league and the rosters are very deep.

How long do you hold onto them? Some of those HS kids will take 4 years.

Without thinking too much, I'd add:

Friedrich (COL)

Kieschnick (SFN)

Decker (SDN)

Perry (DET)

Raben (SEA)

I probably won't have the patience to keep some of the HS pitchers, but Friedrich is on my short list.

FYI, I've owned Markakis and Loney since they were drafted :eektf:

I probably won't have the patience to keep some of the HS pitchers, but Friedrich is on my short list.

Personally, I think I'd take Holt over Friedrich - partly because of my high opinion of Holt and partly because Friedrich is with Colorado.

Can you pick take 2008 International signees? You mentioned that you weren't sure if you wanted to go high school and wait that long, but if you're willing to wait a little longer, that tall athletic pitcher signed by the A's (Michael Inoa?) could be an intriguing pick. Talent-wise, he's worth a 1st round pick, so he fits with these other names being mentioned.

Can you pick take 2008 International signees? You mentioned that you weren't sure if you wanted to go high school and wait that long, but if you're willing to wait a little longer, that tall athletic pitcher signed by the A's (Michael Inoa?) could be an intriguing pick. Talent-wise, he's worth a 1st round pick, so he fits with these other names being mentioned.

Int'l signees are subject to a separate waiver draft. Since I finished 3rd out of 30 teams, I won't have a chance at any of the international guys. Though I did trade for Fukudome last year (I traded Brett Cecil and Michael Bowden...dohhh!:bangwall:)

Inoa was picked up during the season as soon as he signed. He was subject to a waiver claim and I believe the team with the top waiver pick got him.

Int'l signees are subject to a separate waiver draft. Since I finished 3rd out of 30 teams, I won't have a chance at any of the international guys. Though I did trade for Fukudome last year (I traded Brett Cecil and Michael Bowden...dohhh!:bangwall:)

Inoa was picked up during the season as soon as he signed. He was subject to a waiver claim and I believe the team with the top waiver pick got him.

Haha, yeah that stinks. At least that was probably before we knew that Bowden was going to step it up big this year.

I'd look at Kieschnick and Perry -- both should move quickly and Kieschnick has about as much raw power as anyone in the draft. SFN could give him ABs by the end of next year or the start of 2010.

Haha, yeah that stinks. At least that was probably before we knew that Bowden was going to step it up big this year.

Yeah that was probably my worst trade in the 6 years I've been in the league. I've made quite a few good trades to get where I am though.

Holt is now off the board. There's 5 more picks before I go (I'm the Cards)

ROUND 1

>1. Toronto Blue Jays - Pedro Alvarez, 3B, PIT

>2. Kansas City Royals - Tim Beckham, SS, TB

>3. Cincinnati Reds - Eric Hosmer, 1B, KC

>4. Houston Astros - Buster Posey, C, SF

>5. Atlanta Braves - Brian Matusz, P, BAL

>6. New York Yankees - Gordon Beckham, SS, CHW

>7. San Diego Padres - Aaron Crow, RHP, WAS

>8. Seattle Mariners - Justin Smoak, 1B, TEX

>9. New York Mets - Yonder Alonso, 1B, CIN

>10. Colorado Rockies - Brett Wallace 3B, STL

>11. Boston Red Sox (from OAK) - Kyle Skipworth, C, FLA

>12. New York Yankees (from SF) - David Cooper, 1B, TOR

>13. Detroit Tigers - Isaac Davis, 1B, NYM

>14. Anaheim Angels - Aaron Hicks, OF, MIN

>15. Chicago Cubs - Brett Lawrie, C, MIL

>16. Boston Red Sox (from CLE) - Jemile Weeks, 2B, Oak

>17. Texas Rangers - Ethan Martin, SP, LAD

>18. Milwaukee Brewers - David "Reese" Havens, SS, NYM

>19. Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Zach Collier, OF PHI

>20. Chicago White Sox - Jason Castro, C, HOU

>21. Baltimore Orioles - Anthony Hewitt, SS, PHIL

>22. Kansas City Royals (from LA) - Steven Hunt, P, MIN

>23. New York Mets (from MIN)

>24. Texas Rangers (from MON)

>25. New York Mets (from FLA)

>26. Texas Rangers (from PHI)

>27. Saint Louis Cardinals

>28. New York Mets (from ARI)

>29. Seattle Mariners (from BOS)

>30. Texas Rangers (from PIT)

Yeah that was probably my worst trade in the 6 years I've been in the league. I've made quite a few good trades to get where I am though.

Holt is now off the board. There's 5 more picks before I go (I'm the Cards)

ROUND 1

>1. Toronto Blue Jays - Pedro Alvarez, 3B, PIT

>2. Kansas City Royals - Tim Beckham, SS, TB

>3. Cincinnati Reds - Eric Hosmer, 1B, KC

>4. Houston Astros - Buster Posey, C, SF

>5. Atlanta Braves - Brian Matusz, P, BAL

>6. New York Yankees - Gordon Beckham, SS, CHW

>7. San Diego Padres - Aaron Crow, RHP, WAS

>8. Seattle Mariners - Justin Smoak, 1B, TEX

>9. New York Mets - Yonder Alonso, 1B, CIN

>10. Colorado Rockies - Brett Wallace 3B, STL

>11. Boston Red Sox (from OAK) - Kyle Skipworth, C, FLA

>12. New York Yankees (from SF) - David Cooper, 1B, TOR

>13. Detroit Tigers - Isaac Davis, 1B, NYM

>14. Anaheim Angels - Aaron Hicks, OF, MIN

>15. Chicago Cubs - Brett Lawrie, C, MIL

>16. Boston Red Sox (from CLE) - Jemile Weeks, 2B, Oak

>17. Texas Rangers - Ethan Martin, SP, LAD

>18. Milwaukee Brewers - David "Reese" Havens, SS, NYM

>19. Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Zach Collier, OF PHI

>20. Chicago White Sox - Jason Castro, C, HOU

>21. Baltimore Orioles - Anthony Hewitt, SS, PHIL

>22. Kansas City Royals (from LA) - Steven Hunt, P, MIN

>23. New York Mets (from MIN)

>24. Texas Rangers (from MON)

>25. New York Mets (from FLA)

>26. Texas Rangers (from PHI)

>27. Saint Louis Cardinals

>28. New York Mets (from ARI)

>29. Seattle Mariners (from BOS)

>30. Texas Rangers (from PIT)

I think you misread Hunt as Holt.

I would rank my favorite 3 left as Holt, Friedrich & Chisenhall. *Edit*Ok, since you've got 5 picks left I'll add 2 more... I'd take Jaff Decker & Jake Odorizzi as 4 & 5.

Andrew Cashner & Ryan Perry are the highest drafted players left, but they will most likely be relievers in the bigs. I'd have a hard time taking one of those unless your bullpen was barren.

You can draft a guy who hasn't signed yet? I noticed that someone took Aaron Crow. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and have him in the draft where he actually signs?

I think you misread Hunt as Holt.

I would rank my favorite 3 left as Holt, Friedrich & Chisenhall.

Andrew Cashner & Ryan Perry are the highest drafted players left, but they will most likely be relievers in the bigs. I'd have a hard time taking one of those unless your bullpen was barren.

You can draft a guy who hasn't signed yet? I noticed that someone took Aaron Crow. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and have him in the draft where he actually signs?

Oh yeah I did. I'll put Holt on my short list with Friedrich, Chisenhall, Gillaspie, Kelly, Mike Montgomery, Lobstein, Decker (do you know anything about him?)

My bullpen is fine. I have Lidge, Capps, and Balfour, with Meloan, Mickolio, and Erbe waiting in the wings. Two closers will get you 20+ pts out of 30 in our league.

Crow was selected by a team that is "rebuilding" so sticking him on his minor league roster won't affect him. It's been done by a few teams in the past. I wouldn't do it if because my minor league roster is always changing and we're limited by roster size.

Edit: Forgot that Cole did sign. He could be a potential draft pick to keep on the minor league roster.

Archived