Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if DD had any say on the extensions given CD, Trumbo, etc. Seemed clear to me that DD brought in Trumbo as a Davis replacement to play 1B in 2016 before Davis ends up resigning in January. 

Yep.  I’m not absolving DD, I don’t think he was that good but I think if they let him do what he wanted, we wouldn’t have made the same mistakes that were made.

Buck was great for us at first and terrible for us at the end.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Fixed that for you.  Buck had more pull than DD.

I forgot that everything bad that happened under DD was because of Buck and Peter. Not like he doesn't have about a half dozen awful trades under his belt and the Ubaldo, Cashner and Gallardo signings. DD wasn't even the guy who brought over Davis and O'day in the first place when they actually were good. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  I’m not absolving DD, I don’t think he was that good but I think if they let him do what he wanted, we wouldn’t have made the same mistakes that were made.

Buck was great for us at first and terrible for us at the end.

DD didn't have to make the Parra for Zach Davies trade among other moves, but at the same time DD didn't have full autonomy like Elias enjoys today. 

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IIRC, Nick wanted to be in Atlanta for family reasons.  The Orioles offer was comparable or a little more.

The O’s pulled their four year offer off the table when they learned Nick had a neck injury that would require surgery.   

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I forgot that everything bad that happened under DD was because of Buck and Peter. Not like he doesn't have about a half dozen awful trades under his belt and the Ubaldo, Cashner and Gallardo signings. DD wasn't even the guy who brought over Davis and O'day in the first place when they actually were good. 

Well, I’m not 100% convinced that he was behind those signings.

That being said, in literally the next post I posted , I said I’m not absolving him of everything but hey, why read?

As much as I enjoy jumping into the chat about why or whether DD was awful and to what extent and how much did Buck screw with the organization, We can all rejoice that is water under the bridge, and we can get instead start complaining about Mike.

It’s much more productive to complain about today then to complain about three years ago. I for one don’t have a whole lot of complaints about today except (cough cough) Hyde and his dartboard decision maker.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

As much as I enjoy jumping into the chat about why or whether DD was awful and to what extent and how much did Buck screw with the organization, We can all rejoice that is water under the bridge, and we can get instead start complaining about Mike.

It’s much more productive to complain about today then to complain about three years ago. I for one don’t have a whole lot of complaints about today except (cough cough) Hyde and his dartboard decision maker.

And that’s not even a valid complaint.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And that’s not even a valid complaint.

Shhhh… we’ve had this chat before. No need to rehash it. It is entirely valid, and I always point out the foolishness when Hyde leaves a starter in too long, he flails, leaves with guys on base, and the reliever either fortunately bails him out, or, far more often does not, all  because Hyde wanted to squeeze another inning out of his starter. Yes, sometimes it works out ok, but rarely enough that it remains foolish. 

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Shhhh… we’ve had this chat before. No need to rehash it. It is entirely valid, and I always point out the foolishness when Hyde leaves a starter in too long, he flails, leaves with guys on base, and the reliever either fortunately bails him out, or, far more often does not, all  because Hyde wanted to squeeze another inning out of his starter. Yes, sometimes it works out ok, but rarely enough that it remains foolish. 

Valid in your mind doesn’t make it valid in real life.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Word on the streets is that the Chubbies are gonna be sellers.  

Alright you armchair GMs, what crappy arms can we bundle together to get Bryant?

Should have done that to start the season.  Why do it now, when he is a FA after the year?  I doubt he is jumping to sign an extension with us unless we overpay something really dumb.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Should have done that to start the season.  Why do it now, when he is a FA after the year?  I doubt he is jumping to sign an extension with us unless we overpay something really dumb.

They thought they were contenders at the start of the year.

Heck, they thought they were contenders 4 weeks ago today when they were 38-27 and tied for first.

Going 5-18 since then, including losing 12 of their last 13, has changed their outlook on things.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They thought they were contenders at the start of the year.

Heck, they thought they were contenders 4 weeks ago today when they were 38-27 and tied for first.

Going 5-18 since then, including losing 12 of their last 13, has changed their outlook on things.

Plus the 16 projected free agents the Cubs have after this season.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/chicago-cubs/