Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

Just now, Yossarian said:

What does San Diego have in their farm system?  Eric Hosmer is hitting .249 with 6 homers and 36 RBI (.249/.306/.352).  The Padres may be looking to upgrade and Mancini might be attractive to them as they make a post season run.

Yea but they will still have Hosmer.  I think that’s just going to be a black hole or they have to wait and see if he can snap out of it.  Luckily for them, the contract is front loaded, so they will have less money to eat if they need to as his contract progresses along.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well he is on pace for 30/100 again this year I believe.  I can see why someone would label him that.

Not sure why he said 300 but he is a solid hitter, especially in today’s game.

He’s on pace for 29 HR, 108 RBI, though he’s been slumping.   But to say he is .300/30/100 “year in and year out” just isn’t true in any respect. 

Just now, Frobby said:

He’s on pace for 29 HR, 108 RBI, though he’s been slumping.   But to say he is .300/30/100 “year in and year out” just isn’t true in any respect. 

Yeah, and I am also skeptical that "as an outfielder, he's in the middle of the pack of guys who are available".   He is simply not an outfielder, IMO.   We gave it a try, but I think that ship has sailed.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, and I am also skeptical that "as an outfielder, he's in the middle of the pack of guys who are available".   He is simply not an outfielder, IMO.   We gave it a try, but I think that ship has sailed.

That is the key there.  What OFers are even available?

53 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, I think he was referring to overall value, not defense.   He was primarily an outfielder in 2017-19 and had decent overall value despite getting dinged for his defense.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think he was referring to overall value, not defense.   He was primarily an outfielder in 2017-19 and had decent overall value despite getting dinged for his defense.  

And he hasn't played outfield since.   Do you really think a team would trade for him and install him as an outfielder at this point in his career?   I am skeptical.   And IMO that limits him to teams that actually have a hole at first base, or AL teams with a DH.  Eliminating possibilities like Atlanta who needs a bat but I don't think they would hand him an outfield job.

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And he hasn't played outfield since.   Do you really think a team would trade for him and install him as an outfielder at this point in his career?   I am skeptical.   And IMO that limits him to teams that actually have a hole at first base, or AL teams with a DH.  Eliminating possibilities like Atlanta who needs a bat but I don't think they would hand him an outfield job.

I agree that its unlikely some team would add him to play OF full time.  That being said, I do think its possible a team could use him at times out there.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the Os to put him out there once or twice a week, just to see how he does.

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think he has more value as a 1B/DH but I think there are teams that could put him in the OF and he’d be an overall improvement over what they have.   The fact that he hadn’t played OF since the last season that he played wouldn’t faze me.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I see your issue with the 300 avg but its pretty nitpicky  to say he would not put up a 30/100.   He was very close in 2019 and he is right there this year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

To me “year in and year out” does not mean “he did it one time” or “he came close one time.”   I hope Trey will get to 30 HR and 100 RBI this year.   I’d hardly say it’s a sure thing that he does.  

OK, forget the "year in and year out".   He did it once and he is pace to do it again.

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Braves were playing Ozuna in left to start the year.  Ozuna stats showed him to be one of the worst outfielder in baseball lately so not like they think they need a good outfielder.  If Pache and Acuna are healthy they can cover up some ground for Trey.  I think he would be passable as an outfielder if you had two good outfielder that can help him out and cover some ground for him.

Santander article today:

https://theathletic.com/2667898/2021/06/29/should-the-orioles-trade-anthony-santander-a-panel-of-former-gms-discuss-what-theyd-do/?source=user_shared_article

How attractive is Anthony Santander on this year’s trade market?

Duquette: I believe he is one of several outfielders that would be attractive on the trade market. I think people will look at the upside with him, the athleticism. I think his best days are ahead of him. He’s shown flashes of being a really good major leaguer. But, obviously, there have been injuries and we all know he was at the major-league level too soon because he was a Rule 5 pick. If you told me a year from now that he started going off and was a top outfielder in the game, it wouldn’t shock me. I don’t think he can get there. But it wouldn’t shock me.

Evans: At the deadline, you’ll see a lot of relievers exchange hands. You’ll see some starters. And a lot of your position players will be very short-term control guys. A lot of them, not all of them. So, he’s not necessarily a guy that is going to be the tipping point for any club in the race. They’re probably looking more at a guy who is maybe a free agent or has one year of control remaining (because of) the commitment that you’d have to make in terms of return to get a guy with this many control years. Age is a factor; he is still young, that’s valuable. This would be more of an offseason type deal, I would think. It’s hard to make deals at the deadline for controllable players, especially with this number of years left.

O’Dowd: I don’t know what you’re going to get back that would make you want to move him. He is a talented kid. He’s had a lot of inconsistencies in this game, but he’s a really talented kid. I think he is a marginal upgrade for the contending teams looking to fill that kind of role.

Bowden: He’s attractive because there’s a lot of teams that need outfield offense. The Red Sox could use an outfielder, the Marlins could use an outfielder, the Cardinals. There’s a lot of contending teams that could use a young outfielder who is just entering his prime kind of years. I wouldn’t look to move Santander, but I would if I could get that starter, that young starting pitcher that I can control from a team like the Marlins that are loaded.

What would be a reasonable return for Santander in this market?

Duquette:  We don’t see a lot of those type of guys traded. I’m thinking about a guy who has been traded that’s similar, maybe an Austin Meadows. But Santander was more established than Meadows at the time. I think that Santander brings a challenge because your expectation from the Orioles is to get something pretty high. You see where there is projection. But, in the same sense, if you’re on the opposing side, he really hasn’t done it for a long enough period of time. So, you’re tempered by what you’re giving in return. So, those guys are ones that are really hard to make deals with.

Evans: When you’re trading an everyday position player, they’re not expendable. Oftentimes, it’s not like you have extra versions of the same guy on your club, so you’re going to need a return that’s ready to put right into your lineup. And that’s hard for a club to pull a trigger on. It’s just not an easy trade to make. If they think he is expendable and they have the pieces to replace him, then, yeah, you can trade him to get some younger guys. Otherwise, you’d need somebody to come right into your lineup and replace him, even though you’re not ready to make a playoff run right now. You’ve still got to have the pieces ready for that run when you go.

O’Dowd: A contributor or two that has a chance to maybe overachieve into being an impact player, if not every year, in some given years. I’m not trading him for low-level prospects, projection guys. The Orioles have a ton of those.

Bowden: If the Marlins would give me (left-handed prospect) Jake Eder, I would do Santander for Eder. And I could put Eder in my rotation with Means, and I’m a step closer. I’m not looking to trade Santander, but I’m going to listen. But what I need is a No. 2 or No. 3 type starter that I can put behind Means and I can control for six years as I continue to develop Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall, et cetera.