2021 MLB Trade Deadline Deals

SteveA

Surprised to see the Yankees impatiently trading away so many prospects for yet more power. I guess their hope is that Rizzo and Gallo will park  a huge number of home runs in those close RF stands without sacrificing defense.

34 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Seems like the deal for Scherzer is taking too long.

My guess is they're banging out the details of how much $$ the Nats are sending with Scherzer to SD. If memory serves, he's still owed a hundred million bucks deferred starting next year. 

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Surprised to see the Yankees impatiently trading away so many prospects for yet more power. I guess their hope is that Rizzo and Gallo will park  a huge number of home runs in those close RF stands without sacrificing defense.

They haven't traded any prospect so far who'd be in our top 20. 

23 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

If the Cubs really do get Alcantara and Vizciano for expiring Rizzo contract, that's a heck of a deal for them.

Alcantara has a ton of potential.  Vizciano hasn't came close to make use of his talent.

9 hours ago, phatty said:

I think the National did pretty well considering all but Turner is a rental, although the Dodgers jump back to the top with Sherzer personally. 

Sent Hudson to Padres for Mason Thompson Jordy Barley

Sent Turner and Sherzer to LA for Keibert RuizJosiah GrayDonovan CaseyGerardo Carrillo

Not according to this:

Dodgers Expected To Acquire Max Scherzer And Trea Turner From Nationals For Four Prospects - MLB Trade Rumors

Says one more year of arbitration for Turner.

Edit -- Oops.  I misread phatty's post.  Please disregard.

One interesting thing with the Sherzer trade: he has 7 years of deferred pay at $15mm/year starting next year.  Who is on the hook for that? I assume the Dodgers since he is finishing the contract with them?

Edited by yark14

2 minutes ago, yark14 said:

One interesting thing with the Sherzer trade: he has 7 years of deferred pay at $15mm/year starting next year.  Who is on the hook for that? I assume the Dodgers since he is finishing the contract with them?

He's already earned the vast majority of that pay.  I assume the Nats will pay all of it except a pro rated part of the last year.

4 minutes ago, yark14 said:

One interesting thing with the Sherzer trade: he has 7 years of deferred pay at $15mm/year starting next year.  I assume the Dodgers since he is finishing the contract with them?

Not according to the above article:

While Scherzer is an impending free agent, he’ll still be owed $15MM every year from 2022-28 in deferrals. The Dodgers are reportedly assuming the entirety of Scherzer’s remaining salary for 2021 (which won’t actually be paid out for seven years). Presumably, the Nationals will remain on the hook for all the deferred payments for time he’s already spent in Washington.

• Thanks 1