2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

I knew it would be him or Sal Frelick. Our current best prospects are going to reach the majors in 2022 and 2023 and he wants a college bat that can get to the majors quickly, so that the service time starts at almost the same time for all players,now he'll go overslot in high school kids. I'm not mad with this strategy, the problem is it will take 3 or 4 years to really have a deep evaluation of this strategy.

• Upvote 4

Just now, OrioleDog said:

This from that source warms my heart a little.    I see the Nimmo stuff and the Eye, but keeping it in Org I just want to go to Markakis comps.   Hit over Power, etc.

I saw something about how well he hits high velocity. Not sure where I saw that.  

I will…not our fault Kherstad got myocarditis from the vaccine.  It’s ok to say it, it is what it is and if you want to blame anyone, look to the pharmaceutical companies projecting 18B plus in profits each just from the vaccine with experimental rRNA technology.  That said, I don’t hate the pick but boy did we have an opportunity to pick a potential superstar with one of the GS SS’s though I believe we already have one in Gunnar Henderson.

1 minute ago, WarehouseChatter said:

There is a lot of misunderstanding on how the draft/slotting works on this board.  We’re not being cheap!  It’s a strategy to save $ for later rounds and lure talent who might otherwise have gone to college.  I like this strategy considering where we are as an organization.  We’re going to get deeper talent this way vs. a Rocker-type pick who could be lights out but also carries risk and wouldn’t allow us to save $ for future rounds.

Exactly. You get it and it’s surprising to me that it’s not being picked up on considering we did the same thing last year to great results. Getting Baumler and Mayo was amazing considering most didn’t think they would sign. We effectively money whipped them and primed ourselves to be in a position to do so.

Just now, Explosivo said:

Exactly. You get it and it’s surprising to me that it’s not being picked up on considering we did the same thing last year to great results. Getting Baumler and Mayo was amazing considering most didn’t think they would sign. We effectively money whipped them and primed ourselves to be in a position to do so.

I think they overpaid the kids' talent level.  Which is why they signed.

If someone thought they were worth what the O's paid them why didn't they pick them when that amount was slot?

Regarding the power:

The Bearkats hitting coach had this to say about Cowser, “He has always had power potential, but this is happening sooner than most of us thought. I thought this might happen later in his 20s, when he physically matured in pro ball. But he’s worked really hard in the weight room. He’s selective at the plate but aggressive when he needs to be.”

https://reviewingthebrew.com/2021/05/27/brewers-select-colton-cowser-latest-mock-draft/