2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

It still doesn't condemn the pick or the process behind the pick.  So it's not a very effective way to criticize Elias or this pick.

To be clear, I’m not criticizing the Kjerstad pick. No one knew he’d develop myocarditis. I was hoping for a different approach this year to maximize the likelihood of having a successful pick which generally means best available. 

Just now, gman082288 said:

Agreed, which is why you take the best player (especially in baseball). Anyone REALLY think we did that the last two drafts? No, we saved money to TRY and get better players at the back and it failed. We're not an organization that can be cute like this over and over again.

Did we not get good players at the back last year? 

Agreed, which is why you take the best player (especially in baseball). Anyone REALLY think we did that the last two drafts? No, we saved money to TRY and get better players at the back and it failed. We're not an organization that can be cute like this over and over again.

How do you know?  Mayo has barely played and Baumler is injured. 

2 minutes ago, gman082288 said:

How can you say that we failed at this point?

• Upvote 1

Would ANYONE trade Austin Martin for 1/4/5 from last year? If Elias pulled off that trade everyone would be saying it was a steal. And, of course the answer is unknown but I do not believe he maximizes the draft. It's clear to me that Baltimore has no idea what the draft is all about! HA.

Yeah, but that trade isn't a possibility.  

So answer my question.  Did we not get good players at the back of the draft last year?  

And how can he not maximize the draft when he spent practically all of the draft pool money? (Shut up in advance, CoC).

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Black-pot.jpg

Fellow__0000s_0006_Stagg-EKG-hero-shotOp

That’s fair, but we also didn’t have the #1 pick in back to back years. I guess it wasn’t from lack of trying, but I don’t think as many teams deliberately tanked back then as they do now. I just don’t think Rizzo should get a medal for making those selections. 

4 minutes ago, doccat said:

Agree.   Just rotten luck.  The type a rebuilding team just can't afford...  

If we had drafted Austin Martin last year and he got Myocarditis, we'd be just as screwed...

I understand the underslot strategy.  I think sometimes it works (Carlos Correa) and sometimes it doesn't (Matt Hobgood)...   My own personal take is that if you are in a complete rebuild, it might be a better idea to take the "Safest" bet so that at least you come away with something....

Gave you an example.