Wednesday afternoon: Rubber match vs Tampa

SteveA

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Oh well.. that's Scott for ya. lol

Loads the bases, K's a guy, get the last hitter down to one strike and gives up a two-run game winning single. The guy is literally the antithesis of money in leverage situations.  

In fairness, RMC should have had that pop-up.  This isn't all Scott's fault.  Valaika is responsible for a good chunk of it for being a bonehead.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well if we're picking teams here, I'd rather blow a game like this to Tampa instead of Boston.  I'd rather see Tampa take the division this year.  F Boston, all the way.

I agree. I mean it sucks but I can live with it better than a game like last Friday in KC. I just hope for more competitive games. It’s amazing when your starting pitching is decent how much more enjoyable the games are.  

• Upvote 1

Why would we expect anything else? A chance to take a series from TB, a win in the first start for a rookie pitcher, and the Tanner Scott standing on the mound with a one run lead in the 9th.

Man, I can't wait until we have talent where these games are exciting but we actually come out on top. 

• Upvote 1

Damn.

Hate to play as well as we did and lose.   We got as good a game as we could expect out of our starter, our top 6 hitters went 8/22, we hit some HRs, we had some clutch relief pitching by Tate.

And we had a chance to beat a good team on the road and win our second straight series.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

In fairness, RMC should have had that pop-up.  This isn't all Scott's fault.  Valaika is responsible for a good chunk of it for being a bonehead.

Would love to know if Ryan was yelling for it. I know that dome can make some noise even with low attendance. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Once again, the inability to execute a fundamental play -- the collision on the pop-up -- is costly.

Is anyone ever going to be accountable for this crap?

Not anytime soon. Elias just looks at this game as one more day closer to securing a top draft pick once again. I'm not saying he won't ever care about on field performance, but just that right now, all he cares about is getting high draft picks, scouting and development. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Why would we expect anything else? A chance to take a series from TB, a win in the first start for a rookie pitcher, and the Tanner Scott standing on the mound with a one run lead in the 9th.

Man, I can't wait until we have talent where these games are exciting but we actually come out on top. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Felt like the kiss of death to me as soon as I knew Scott was starting the ninth inning to "close" out the game. 

YEah I knew when Scott came in that we were going to lose.  I was not on pins and needles in the ninth....because I KNEW it was over.  

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The worst part is that the Mountcastle/Valaika blunder will somewhat cover up what a horrific idea putting Scott in there actually was. 

Why?  Why not see what he can do there. We have used Sulser, Valdez and Fry as closers. Can’t use him?  Pure stuff is he most talented. On a contender I wouldn’t want him closing.