I'm starting to think we are 4-5 years away from competing for real

kidrock

3 hours ago, kidrock said:

Yes, absolutely terrible.

It isn't always appreciated.

47 wins.

The best talent from that team all gone.  With no major league assets left.

In spite of that firesale, one of the worst farm systems in baseball.  And an overpriced roster.

6 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

It’s all about the pitching. Our timeline moves up rapidly if Rodriguez/Hall/Bradish/Baumann or others transition quickly. We have a lot of good young arms arriving in a short span that second wave. We’ll certainly be a lot more fun to watch every night. 

I agree with all that, plus Kevin Smith and Tyler Wells, but even with Means back, I think there has to be 1-2 fairly good FA signings as starters. If Means isn't back, then 2 good FA starters signed. 

Rodriguez won't start the year in Balt and Hall is further behind. Even adding Zimmerman (who I believe in) and Kremer and Alex Wells and Akin, that's a heckuva lot to put on rookies without the FA signings.

3 hours ago, kidrock said:

Fair points.  I'm still struggling to see a 90 win team in 2-3 years from now, let along a 95+ win team that can take it all.

It might be optimistic to be a 90-win team in 2-3 years.   I certainly wouldn’t expect 95 wins by then.

The farm system was much worse than we were willing to admit when Elias took over. When the hole is that much deeper it takes longer to climb out into daylight. 

I wouldn't be shocked if it took until 2024 or later to make the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

The farm system was much worse than we were willing to admit when Elias took over. When the hole is that much deeper it takes longer to climb out into daylight. 

I wouldn't be shocked if it took until 2024 or later to make the playoffs.  

It was almost like taking over an expansion team when you look at the Orioles farm system in 2018 when Elias got hired. 

if Elias gets the Orioles in the playoffs before 2024 it will be quite the accomplishment. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It was almost like taking over an expansion team when you look at the Orioles farm system in 2018 when Elias got hired. 

if Elias gets the Orioles in the playoffs before 2024 it will be quite the accomplishment. 

Again, we have all the answers to the holes in our mlb club. Iron sharpens iron. Follow the boys at the Verge to get a taste of milb coverage. The Orioles are going to be special in two years and will remain special for the next five years after. This is going to be one of the best windows of opportunity we have ever had. The pitching is there waiting for their call ups. The infield answers are there waiting for their call ups. The catcher is there waiting for his call up. We are going to look back at this decade as one of Orioles dominance. You’ve just got to look at the talent we have coming up and really look at the top tier talent we already have on the team.

It’s easy to forget that eventually there will be impact external additions. You don’t have to develop a 26 man roster from your minor league system alone. We just aren’t at that phase yet. Signing a SP or OF to a 4 year lucrative deal prior to say the 2020 season would be fruitless. But those types of deals will come. Our FA signings have been restricted to a cheap 1 year deal for a position hole that is in desperate need of a warm body. I’ve always thought of the end of 2022 (Chris Davis’ contract) as a new era in Baltimore baseball, whether that’s intentional or unintentional. Basically I think that means a new phase of the rebuild will begin. IMO Elias is doing everything right despite a few hiccups like jumping the gun on dumping Richard Belier, leaving Zach Pop unprotected, and the Mike Yaz swap. 

Edited by Matt Bennett

10 hours ago, Jagwar said:

The farm system was much worse than we were willing to admit when Elias took over.  

I don’t think so.   Rodriguez, Hall, Hays, Mountcastle, Baumann and Rom were all there.   Since then, Akin, Kremer, Lowther and Diaz have all lost some shine, for sure.   Pop was lost to the Rule 5 draft, but he was in our system.   Overall, I’d say the system has been about as expected.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think so.   Rodriguez, Hall, Hays, Mountcastle, Baumann and Rom were all there.   Since then, Akin, Kremer, Lowther and Diaz have all lost some shine, for sure.   Pop was lost to the Rule 5 draft, but he was in our system.   Overall, I’d say the system has been about as expected.

And Adley was delivered to him on a platter.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

For the guys that have lost some shine, is part of that the development team Elias put into place?

If they get credit for the guys that progress....