Colton Cowser 2021

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not that we root for injuries, but this sure does make the Cowser pick look a lot better. 

Well, it depends.  When did this injury occur?

If teams knew he had a shoulder pre-draft, that helps explain why he dropped lower than where people rated him and it also justifies passing on him.

If it occurred after the draft, its just bad luck (Ala Kjerstad) and doesn't justify it.

BTW, I am using the word justify only in the sense of using the injury itself as an excuse to choose Cowser over Lawlar.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, it depends.  When did this injury occur?

If teams knew he had a shoulder pre-draft, that helps explain why he dropped lower than where people rated him and it also justifies passing on him.

If it occurred after the draft, its just bad luck (Ala Kjerstad) and doesn't justify it.

BTW, I am using the word justify only in the sense of using the injury itself as an excuse to choose Cowser over Lawlar.

If he had the shoulder pre-draft it makes me wonder why they would let him play games at all.

Come in, get signed, get cut.  I would also have expected him to sign for less money if he had that type of issue during the physical.  He signed for around a million over slot.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he had the shoulder pre-draft it makes me wonder why they would let him play games at all.

Come in, get signed, get cut.  I would also have expected him to sign for less money if he had that type of issue during the physical.  He signed for around a million over slot.

I tend to agree…but a torn labrum all of a sudden is suspicious to me..but obviously possible.

He’s played 15 games at Delmarva. He has 77 PA and in those 77 PA he has 16BB/8SO. 

It appears Delmarva’s season ends on 9/19 with the possibility of playoffs. The AFL starts on 10/13. Usually players can get between 75+ PA down there.

Maybe we fast track Cowser and have him skip Aberdeen. I don’t think it’s unrealistic that he’s with the MLB club at some point in 2023. 

3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Interestingly, it looks like Cowser’s first HR was against a second basemen. 

It was Noah Campbells second appearance however, so maybe he pitched before being drafted. 

It was a meatball on the inner half, w  slower than a batting practice fastball.   I doubt that it broke 80 mph.  Cowser did crush it though.

19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It was a meatball on the inner half, w  slower than a batting practice fastball.   I doubt that it broke 80 mph.  Cowser did crush it though.

I don’t think anyone is putting too much stock into that one Cowser HR. I do think his 16BB/8SO means a lot more. He’s the exact type of player you can get aggressive with. 

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think anyone is putting too much stock into that one Cowser HR. I do think his 16BB/8SO means a lot more. He’s the exact type of player you can get aggressive with. 

Drooling over a 16/8 ratio.  

I don't mind strikeouts, they're commonplace in today's game...they're accepted.  But the walks...awesome.  

On 9/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s played 15 games at Delmarva. He has 77 PA and in those 77 PA he has 16BB/8SO. 

It appears Delmarva’s season ends on 9/19 with the possibility of playoffs. The AFL starts on 10/13. Usually players can get between 75+ PA down there.

Maybe we fast track Cowser and have him skip Aberdeen. I don’t think it’s unrealistic that he’s with the MLB club at some point in 2023. 

If there's one thing we can assume with pretty high confidence, it's that the Orioles will not be fast tracking any prospects.  Elias has been pretty straight forward on this, he has a set process and will be consistent.   He will be at Aberdeen next year in the Spring.   Now I do think you are correct that he could be up with the O's by 2023.  I think what happened with Stowers this year (start at Aberdeen....promoted to Bowie and now promoted to Norfolk) is a realistic best case for Cowser in 2022.

14 minutes ago, Aglets said:

If there's one thing we can assume with pretty high confidence, it's that the Orioles will not be fast tracking any prospects.  Elias has been pretty straight forward on this, he has a set process and will be consistent.   He will be at Aberdeen next year in the Spring.   Now I do think you are correct that he could be up with the O's by 2023.  I think what happened with Stowers this year (start at Aberdeen....promoted to Bowie and now promoted to Norfolk) is a realistic best case for Cowser in 2022.

I don't think this is true and, due to there being no minor league season last year, there isn't enough info to make this claim. 

The current Aberdeen OF is Cespedes, Harris, Haskin, Sparks and Turchin. That is not a group that is going to block the 1st rd pick from starting the year in Bowie.

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don't think this is true and, due to there being no minor league season last year, there isn't enough info to make this claim. 

The current Aberdeen OF is Cespedes, Harris, Haskin, Sparks and Turchin. That is not a group that is going to block the 1st rd pick from starting the year in Bowie.

Just going by what he has said in the past is enough for me.  And seeing how he has handled every prospect so far without exception.   If there is other evidence I'm not aware of that goes against his stated development plans I am open to seeing it.